Hammock
    DIY Colorado flag retired
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (old bag)
    Suspension
    Rope
    Images

Scout camp hammocks.

Hi all. I've been registered for quite a while and I lurk a lot, but don't post too much.

Anyway, I'm a scoutmaster and have a unique DIY hammock that I've been taking to campouts with the scouts. They've caught the bug on the last week long camp out. Many of the scouts bought hammocks at the trading post and they made the “Hammock condo city” seen below.

My DIY hammock involved approaching the local police (state, city doesn't matter) and asking for retired state flags to be donated. State flags don't have the same restrictions as the US flag does and most states should be willing.

I cut the tattered edge off, hem it and then sew a loop to thread rope thru and create a gathered end hammock. One of my big flags is a Colorado state flag about 6x18. After hemming and looping, it's about 14' long. It's the one you can see in the pictures.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
    rnr

mix 1.jpg

mix 2.jpg

hammock condo.jpg

long co flag.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Never thought of that. One man's trash...

How did they get up to the top bunk and how do they get out for a midnight bathroom break? !
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    This is great, I was very involved with scouting as a child, Wish I new about hammocks then ! looks like they are having a blast !

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, GT SBP, DIY
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie
    It is good to have the kids getting involved with hammocking. One thing that is important that we had discussed earlier this summer on this forum is safety and LNT for scouts. There is a trend out there with some Councils and parks banning hammocking for some of the issues you had in your pics. I know the kids were having a blast from what the pics showed, but the ladder effect/bunk bedding of hammocks goes against the "guide to safe scouting" Scouts should not be over waist hieght. Look at any pioneering projects that are created now a days. Monkey bridges and towers must be below waist level when building as the hieght that a scout can go.

The other item that should be addressed is the material that is used to hang the hammocks. The ropes are horrible for the trees. The stess on the tree from anything other than a 1 inch tree hugger is to great for a tree. With that many hammocks on the tree, it is streessing it out too much. Poly webbing can easily be found for a very inexpensive price. This is one of the main reasons that hammocks are being banned.

This would be a great teachable moment for teaching Leave no Trace to your troop and giving reasons to support and get the kids involved. If you have any questions, PM me and I can help.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Our troop is planning a trip as a LNT project. I am going to have a hammock class for them to make sure they understand the different styles of hammocks and the different ways to hang them safely.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    pretty cool, but any type of equipment failure will lead your scouts getting hurt. Practice and teach proper hanging.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    You can camp in the summer without a mosquito net? I am moving to Colorado!

It looks like they all had a blast but I can't imagine how much it would have sucked if you guys got a freak thunderstorm while hanging like that.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    I really like that your boys are getting out of the tent!
    I do wonder about them being stacked so high though.

I would have to try and find that passage in the Guide to Safe Scouting about not hanging like that. I don't remember seeing it in there. Scouts are over waist height all the time.

LNT is a touchy subject to me, That means you can not clean up your around your camp by trimming brush and raking leaves. Something that makes the camp look nicer and opens up more area for hammocks.
    I myself would not worry about LNT in the campsite. On the trail or in the bush I wouldn't alter enough to cause worry.

Great job with the boys though, I bet they had a blast. My son got to use his for the first time at summer camp, and people were diein to get in it.

I just love trying to find this info on the G2SS. Since it updates quarterly , many references are outdated. Here is what I found on the BSA online version. Nothing as far as sleeping arrangements.
    Slacklining-3 feet.
    Monkey bridge - 5 feet
    Thats it.
    I found references to OSHA requirements stating kids in activities over 6 feet off ground should be in safety rigging.

I would hope common sense would prevail here. Keep the bunking heights same as a normal bunk bed and all should be alright.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Oh by the way our scouts had about 9 hammocks set up at camp and had a blast. All had tree straps as they were taught at our hammock campout eatlier this year. It was easy to sell this as it being a LNT guideline.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast