ENO Singlesnest
    Tarp
    JRB CatTarp
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Rope/EnoSlapstraps

All around underquilt for my ClkNA?

Hactorious kind of touched on this, but I wasn't sure about whether to comment on that post or start another one...

Anyway, I'm seeing that a bunch of people have a winter UQ and a summer UQ and then sometimes they have both down ones and synthetic?!? Is there one that covers all of these?!? Like a golden UQ - that will work with a ClarkNA?!?

Rather than have a bunch of different UQ's, for now I'd like to be able to have one all around decent one and just add a pad or more clothes or not, depending on what the temps call for... So I'm basically looking for a 1 pad and 1 UQ set-up... (and just switch em' out or use em' both or whatever.) I can't afford (money wise or storage wise) a bunch of equipment, but I don't want that to limit when/where I can camp.

Anybody got any ideas?!?

THG -
    Last edited by treehouseguy; 07-24-2009 at 21:08.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I use my SnugFit year-round. When it's warm outside, I hang it from my hammock, but put it off to the side. If my backside gets cold, I just pull it under me and I'm good to go.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think some of that decision is "When and Where" you camp the most. Here in Minnesota it requires some good and serious botton insulation in Deep winter ... whether double pads or UQ(s) or a combo of all.
    Fall/Spring and such .... a 1/2 to 3/4 UQ does it. I have a DIY that i love ...11ozs and a Winter Yeti from Warbonnet that I love as well. Also a full length DIY UQ that has been a true bottom warming gem.
    wish I had a Speer or Jack R Better UQ too .... and I will someday cause this is what I like to spend my Mad-Money on.

I think that you can use just one and find it applicable to most situations with tweaking, hanging loose, to the side or snug up against you.
    THG .... your UQ journey is on .....!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Treehouseguy, et al,

Recommend that you look at the JRB Mt Washington-4....Dual differentially designed, body contour radial baffles...Good to zero or below....weight 28 oz....vents easily for warmer weather.....

If you want a 15-20 degree answer and plan to supplement with a pad when colder, consider the MT Washington-3.....Same quilt design... 22 oz...still easily vented.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    at some point you're gonna have to bite the bullet, buy an uq and a pad and start your own experimenting with them!!! That's the only way you will know what kind of temp ranges you are gonna be able to do with your gear. That being said, if you're going to buy a pad, look into the EXPED down 9. I've found it to be fantastic at low temps and if you have to go to ground it's the most comfortable that I've found. I would also think that with this pad, it would allow you to use a lighter under quilt through the winter than you would normally have to use. So maybe this setup could work for your 1 under quilt and 1 pad options. You've just got to figure out which under quilt !!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    at some point you're gonna have to bite the bullet, buy an uq and a pad and start your own experimenting with them!!! That's the only way you will know what kind of temp ranges you are gonna be able to do with your gear. That being said, if you're going to buy a pad, look into the EXPED down 9. I've found it to be fantastic at low temps and if you have to go to ground it's the most comfortable that I've found. I would also think that with this pad, it would allow you to use a lighter under quilt through the winter than you would normally have to use. So maybe this setup could work for your 1 under quilt and 1 pad options. You've just got to figure out which under quilt !!
    I have used my Exped 9 without a UQ at the Mt Rogers Hang for the last two years. We had temps down to single digits and I had to vent during the night. Keep in mind that I am a warm sleeper and I was using a -20 degree down bag as a top quilt. If I had a UQ I would have been way to warm. This year I will be using a UQ so I can see the difference. Experimenting with gear is a hobby in itself. I don't think any one piece of gear could cover all the variables. Enjoy
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Treehouseguy, et al,

Recommend that you look at the JRB Mt Washington-4....Dual differentially designed, body contour radial baffles...Good to zero or below....weight 28 oz....vents easily for warmer weather.....

If you want a 15-20 degree answer and plan to supplement with a pad when colder, consider the MT Washington-3.....Same quilt design... 22 oz...still easily vented.

Pan
    This is what I plan to do this winter with the Mt Washington 4. I will use a UQ in the winter, pad during spring and fall, and nothing in the summer.

Hammock
    ENO Singlesnest
    Tarp
    JRB CatTarp
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Rope/EnoSlapstraps
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I used an Exped Down 9 in Gunnison over the 4th. Worked great! Unfortunately it wasn't mine, so now I gotta get one of my own. And I'm about to just bite the bullet and buy a bunch of stuff so that I'll have all kinds of things to try when I go home for Labor Day. I ask the questions in hopes of splurging on the best options as opposed to flat out buying something and finding out the hard way that it sucks (or at least wasn't the best choice).

Kinda curious: Does anyone use the SnugFit with the Clark?!? And did you get the one made for the Speer or the Universal?!? Kinda leaning towards this, that's why I ask.

• + New Posts