WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Pinhoti trail---Mcdill point hammock camp

Last month, I took my son to the Pinhoti trail in alabama. We hiked in to Mcdill point, and spent the night. This was kind of a shakedown cruise for my double hammock rig----and it worked flawlessly! It was a pretty hot day, so we hike in during the morning, and spent the afternoon in the hammocks reading and napping. That night we watched the sun go down, and then had a very comfortable night s rest! There is no water where we camped, and because it was pretty hot, I didnt bring a stove------we carried all of our water and went cookless. It turned out very well---I was really pleased! My son Seth had never slept in a hammock before, and I was kind of worried how that would go-he has a very active imagination! But, it wasnt a big deal at all, he jumped in his hammock and went right to sleep! Mcdill point has excellent overlooks, and there is a small plane wreck near the summit. Since Im an aircraft mechanic, I find it very interesting! This is one of my favorite places to camp, and i have spent many enjoyable nights there. It was fun to share it with my son.! I always get a kick out of this place: its one of the few places I have hiked where you can sit on a cliff, and see the place you camped the night before-----very rare in the southeast! I love to sit and watch the vultures and hawks soar below me---Its a pretty special place! P.S. while we were in the area, we hid a Geocache (spider cache) If any of you are into geocaching, check it out!
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-24-2009 at 23:58.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice there fellers! That is a trail that I have had on my list to do after hearing Rylan speak of it on southeasternbackpackers.com........
    Sweet pix.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Nice there fellers! That is a trail that I have had on my list to do after hearing Rylan speak of it on southeasternbackpackers.com........
    Sweet pix.
    Better make it in the fall or spring. Our summer heat and humidity along with our bugs can leave you with a bad impression of a really great trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by southmark; 07-25-2009 at 18:29.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Southmark, thanks for the pictures! Where was the first picture taken, the one next to the water? I have grown to love the Pinhoti--Its less than 2 hours from our house and we rarly see other people on the trail. Its really is a great trail! Have you hiked the whole thing? Youre right about the weather, summer isnt the best time to hike the Pinhoti. I did a 3 day solo 2 years ago in October when the leaves were at their peak---it was pure heaven! Im definitly going back this fall!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Better make it in the fall or spring. Our summer heat and humidity along with our bugs can leave you with a bad impression of a really great trail.
    That would be my plan ..... summer is a time that I leave the woods to the rest of humanity. It is my busy work season and I would rather the Fall.
    See you on the Pinhoti...... in cooler times.
    Sweatin' Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Southmark, Ive hiked the sky/chinnabee/pinhoti loop several times, spent lots of time in the Cheah wilderness, and have done a few nights near Dugger Mtn. I know the Pinhoti has alot more to offer, but my favorite haunts are really really good, and its kind of hard to try somthing new sometimes! I would love to hike the whole thing someday---a couple of years ago I did a 4 day solo, starting at Cheah st park, and heading north as far as I could go in 2 days, and then turned around and hiked back. In 4 days I didnt see a single person. It was a great trip, and Ill never forget the experience! (that was in my "pre hammock" days.) For solitude, you cant beat the Pinhoti! Ill have to check out a new section of trail this fall! Do you have any favorite sections of the trail you would recommend?
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-26-2009 at 14:27.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Actually the photo by the water was on the Chinnabee Silent Trail which intersects the Pinhoti at Little Caney Head about 3 miles south of McDill Point. The Pinhoti is a favorite of mine also because how close it is. I have not done any of it south of Adams Gap but I have hiked all of it north of there. I am a member of the Appalachian Trail Club of Alabama which does trail maintenance on the northern 50 miles of it. You should try the Chinnabee, Pinhoti, Skyway Loop Trail loop. About 18 miles.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really like the sections between Burns trailhead and Highpoint trailhead. Check out this Pinhoti link for trail guide info and more:

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I really like the sections between Burns trailhead and Highpoint trailhead. Check out this Pinhoti link for trail guide info and more:

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html
    Thats my favorite section as well. We will plan a hang there this fall or winter if anyone wants to.

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

fall hike

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Thats my favorite section as well. We will plan a hang there this fall or winter if anyone wants to.
    Skippy,

Please let us know. Several of us would like to join you. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast