11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

wind and quilt ratings

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but how does one take the wind into account when choosing underquilts and topquilts? for example, I have a winter and a summer set of quilts. I was thinking to just use a wind chill chart and calling it done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on what type of tarp you have, four-season with doors, or if you're using an underquilt protector. My four-season tarp keeps wind off me so I don't think I need a UQP.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    This might not be what you're asking for - but I think I heard somewhere that an overstuff of 15-30% dramatically improves wind resistance.

Personally, I find that top quilts don't really need wind resistance, what with a bug net and the sides of the hammock. It's surprisingly sheltered in my WBBB.

You might consider using a peapod or underquilt protector or something if you want to get wind protection without going up a temperature rating (saves on weight and cost).

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You don't. Site selection is the only real factor there. Wind sucks - quite literally - no matter what you're UQ material might be made of. An undercover will help, but it doesn't block wind as much as it inhibits convection. More wind is going to mean more heat loss regardless. Doors on a tarp will help a little more and especially so if the bottom of your hammock setup can be above the edge of the tarp when staked.

I suppose you could say that if you were inclined to do some ridge camping, that if temperature-wise you needed a 20 degree UQ, that perhaps a zero UQ would ensure you'll stay warm. When it comes to wind, you can pretty much be assured you won't be too warm with whatever UQ you have.

p.s. can't say from experience, but I think Bushwhacker is right about overstuff... an overstuff UQ is likely to hang on to more of the heat pocket that's created inside, or at least the pocket around you might remain more stable temp-wise having the extra buffer of down between it and the outside of the UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    ok cool. you have brought up some interesting points to consider. Right now, I just have the ENO tarp that goes with my hammock. Most assurable for summer / good weather during the winter. I don't typically make a point of going out if the conditions are supposed to be bad. I was on the top of springer mountain here in GA last week and the wind picked up unexpectedly. I was fine because I had my 40 degree UQ and the low was supposed to be only in the 60s. But it kind of got me thinking. So maybe a winter tarp with doors and / or a UQ protector may be something to look into. I'm somewhat new at this. But I have a zero degree UQ for the winter that I found used locally. I thought it was a little much when I bought it, but I am glad that I have it because I can always sleep with with more clothes or add an extra layer inside my hammock to help with the TQ, but it seems like a more difficult predicament if one gets cold from the bottom during the night. Any suggestions on where to look for a decent / cost effective tarp and / or underquilt protector?

Hammock
    Amok 3.0, Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock w/hammock
    Here is a couple of calculators to factor in wind chill.
    Click here for standard
    Click here for metric
    Last edited by Realstone; 08-01-2014 at 08:34.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Can't go wrong with 2QZQ for a UQP.

Tarps...well there's more discussion on what your needs/wants are to be had to help you sort that out. Do you want silnylon, PU coated nylon, or do you want to spend some serious bucks on cuben fiber? Or go real cheap with the heavy duty PU tarps? There are numerous options you can look at on those...so it's good to give some thought on your priorities. Weight? Cost? Size?

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    I had a chance to check some out. I think the hennessy typhoon looks interesting. seems like reasonable weight and cost. generally, I try to keep. the weight as low as possible without spending a fortune. the underquilt protector looks great. is that a piece of gear that is always carried or left at home when good weather is expected?
    Last edited by ebrianschmidt; 08-02-2014 at 01:08.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Sewn footbox.

Tarp with doors, double stacked underquilts, underquilt protector, 30-40mph winds...freaking snap/drawstring footbox hole having heat sucking wind gets me every time. Sewn footbox.

Did I mention sewn footbox?

Lesser winds, UQP.

Site selection always #1
    14 years old, heavy rains, mud, slid right out from under my tarp on a solo hike on the AT.

Ran into my dad the next morning at a water source (he was shadowing me but giving me my space as were a bunch of others, a group solo thing haha) and took him back to show him what happened. He laughed, looked around, acknowledged the torrential downpours and then made me scout up a better loc right then and there. Next 2 days of rain, high and dry baby. Live and learn, lock it down.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    that's a funny story. probably would be a decent idea to get a tarp with doors in the future to help keep the wind and rain off. although I plan on going to the shelter if it ever gets bad on the at.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast