Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Line locs?

Hi there,

I was looking at a tarp set-up with mini line locs and was wondering if this would be a good way to go. I've read about slippage and as a newbie am wondering if that might be one more thing to worry about or if there are benefits that could negate that....

So please help me.... What are the pros and cons of line locs? Why or why not would you use them on your tarp?

Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I've never used anything else on my tarp and I love them.

I spliced loops in the peg end of the guy lines and put a line loc in between the guy line and a loop of shock cord.

As long as the line loc is threaded properly...duh, yes, you can do it backwards, I've not had a problem with slippage. I do a half hitch with the extra cord anyways because I'm a belt and supender type of gal... but mostly it's just to get the extra line tucked up.

I got the glow in the dark ones which are great for that late at night, don't turn on the headlamp dash to the bush. It shows me where the lines are so I don't trip over them and I can find my way home.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Lots of folks seem to like the Line Locs; it's a great idea. If I had them around I would have tried them.

I love knots and splicing. So I made Zing-it soft shackles that are attached at each corner of my SF, then formed into a four-wrap Prusik for the guyline(s). The principle is about the same - I just use the Prusik for adjustment, rather than a Line Loc. I like this arrangement just fine so I haven't ordered any Line Locs.

I like the "no bulk" idea of the Prusik soft shackle - no hard plastic. But the LLs are so small anyway, I suppose four of them wouldn't make much difference while packing. I can't imagine the LLs are much heavier either, unless one is a gram weenie (nothing wrong with that).

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    For some reason I'm suprized by both your answers. I rarely see any mention of using them when reading the posts on tarps. And I do like knots....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use them with Zing-it. They don't slip. Sometimes I finish with a half hitch but not always. I put a loop in the Zing-it at the stake end and attach the Line Lok at the tarp end. I've found nothing i like better for tarp adjustment.
    I used to do it just like AaronMB but sometimes the prussiks were a little hard to slide. The Line-loks are slightly bulkier but not enough to be a problem.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have a loop and use that to attach the line lock to the tarp tie-downs. Then I can adjust the line-lock while under the tarp. Never had slippage. the more tension, the more the zing-it is bitten into by the lock.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Add me to the list. I use linelocs which connect to tarp tie out points via a 5-6" loop of shock cord. Very easy to use and adjust from under the tarp, shock cord loops keep everything snugged down nicely and no problems with slippage.

-- Tom

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Quote Originally Posted by TomS View Post
    Add me to the list. I use linelocs which connect to tarp tie out points via a 5-6" loop of shock cord. Very easy to use and adjust from under the tarp, shock cord loops keep everything snugged down nicely and no problems with slippage.

-- Tom
    So, you attach the shock cord to the D Ring and attach a line loc to the shock cord? And what Line Loc are we taking about:

http://dutchwaregear.com/linelocs-3.html (thought these were meant for webbing..)

http://dutchwaregear.com/line-locks.html

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Images
    So, you attach the shock cord to the D Ring and attach a line loc to the shock cord? And what Line Loc are we taking about:
    Curious about this myself, I have a Tarp on the way and just ordered some line locs from the HF store, I have shock cord and zing it, when it all gets here I guess I'll experiment some.

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I love loc's we use em with the zing it and never had a problem,, Dutch sells both line loc's and zing it. We found some 1/2" wide ribbon at wally world and attached them to my dad's Tadpole every easy to sew on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast