Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings from Fort Worth Tx

New to hammocks and camping/backing in general. Picked up a cheap hammock some time ago forgot I had it and found it while doing some summer cleaning recently. Hung it up and felt the joy and relaxation of just laying/sitting in a hammock. Have since made it a point to set the hammock up everyday thereafter.

I'm working with Byers of Maine Traveler and a wally world 8x10 blue tarp right now but have been looking into different hammocks and suspensions systems.

Been reading this forum for the past week or so and figured it was time to say HELLO ALL

The thing that has me right now is a bug net. Here in my area skeeters are aggressive. I tried out a hammock that had the bug net attacked worked great but the bugs would bite me from the underside of the hammock. also I find the netting to very warm with less air flow. I am also trying out an ENO guardian bug net, I'm not getting the bites from underneath but its still very warm in the hammock.

Does anyone has any suggestions? My main issue is it having less air flow and temp inside with the net on also there is an issue with having less free movement in the hammock. I would like to try and avoid bug repellents if possible but I am open to any info or suggestions.

Great forum I'm happy to be apart of it

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees!

Most netting has a really high hole count to keep out bugs even smaller than skeeters. That also can restrict airflow as you have seen.

One option is a small net on top and for the back side go chemical. I treat mine with permethrin and no longer have the back buffet issue.

One of the best ways to learn about gear options is to go to a group hang and see what others are using. There are frequently small groups getting together in North Texas. In addition there happens to be a group hang in Willis, in early August and another in Fairfield in November. Come hang out with fellow Lone Star hangers and we'll be glad to help you out.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Welcome to hanging out, Uncle has it right with permethrin on all gear, Let it dry, I have a Grand Trunks DBL. With a ENO Bug Screen, Low air movement but works good.
    Don't for get your hammock ridge line it helps a bunch

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome from SC. You might get one of those little battery fans from Wal-mart which you can hang from your ridgeline: http://www.walmart.com/ip/O2-Cool-Keychain-Fan/15992434 I have one and it works pretty good. You do have to connect it to a prussic or something or it will go sliding away.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Another option is a double layer (DL) hammock. They make them out of lighter material, as the doubling supplies strength. Skitters can't bite through it. But try the permethrin soak first
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Oh and HI! And consider the Butt Bake on 8/8 weekend and the fall hang also
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Welcome to the forums. I'm having the same issue, with a similar setup. Summer here in TX is hot, and the air is often dead still at night but the hammock set up is still far cooler than a tent. Out at Possum Kingdom last weekend I tried just draping the bug net over the ridgeline and using a sleeping pad on the bottom to keep the skeeters away. It kept me from becoming prey to the vampires, but I woke up to find a scorpion clinging to the underside of the bug netting above my head... time for a new solution. If you find one, share the wealth of knowledge!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. Right now I am trying out a Byers of Maine Moskito Kacoon has been working really well and lets a nice breeze on the backside. I did use the permethrin on the hammock and it has really helped. As far as air flow for the tarp and summer heat.

Tyler spoke to it well when he said its hot with no breeze and if there is a breeze its a sticky one. I have been playing with small tarps with a higher pitch. I have also used a pitch called "Porch Mode" that has been working well. The smaller tarp was wally world blue 6x8 tarp and it let breeze in much better. I will need to try out that camp far idea thanks GrannyPat

So far happy with the set up and I will start to look for a better quality tarp. I have looked at Arrowhead and OSE Maccat tarps.

Again if anyones has any tips or words of consideration for a tarp I and open to knowledge. I'm not set on a tarp just those just appeal to me right now
    I have been reading a lot about tarps from the ultimate hang website which if im not mistaken is a fourm member?

Again thanks for eveyones support

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Ultimate Hang, yeah, get that book.
    Last trip I took, Eagle Rock Loop (ERL) up in Arkansas in late May. I took my tarp, I hung it up but never deployed it (never put the sides down. I have a built in bug net with my Warbonnets. So I had a nice breeze and it I heard thunder, saw lightening, or felt rain, I could have the tarp 4 tie downs in pretty quick. Nice breezes that way.
    Call me Junior

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Welcome from Plano, TX

Welcome to Texas Hammock hanging in the summer months and to all the great ideas at HF. I have used several different fans suspended by a line above my hammock in temperatures ranging from 80*F low at night to well over 110*F at day. Coleman and O2 Cool are some brands of battery powered fans available at Target, Wal-Mart and Academy Sports etc. Links:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4767725?wm...284470&veh=sem

10" from Academy that I used with no bugnet when it got VERY hot, covered my feet with a sheet, the fan kept the mosquitos away from my face and arms.
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/o2-c...-fan/pid-26623

There are many tarp shapes to consider I like everything from simple noah's tarp, simple diamond, asymmetrical rectangular, Hex, WB superfly full coverage with doors and many more. Then there are some fabric choices: If you are not backpacking polyeurethane coated polyester may be the most cost effective it theoretically holds up best to UV (sunlight) and mildew etc and is cheaper, but is a little heavier. Cuben Fiber is super light but very expensive. So Silnylon is very popular and should last a reasonably long time. A tarp with doors will provide you with some more privacy and wind blown rain protection but it takes longer to setup and the "porch mode" is not as quick and easy, i.e. more guy lines, also tarp is a bit more heavy, expensive, and blocks your view if the doors are not pulled back. These are all minor pros and cons. Not a big deal, all these tarps are good. Here are some quick links (a long time before "Black Friday" but some sales by then):

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/rainflys/

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps/

Hopefully you will be able to attend the Group Camping "Hang" in November at Texas State Park, Fairfield.

BTW the North Texas Outdoors club in the DFW area does a lot of group trips and several of them use camping hammocks for both car camping and backpacking, they have seminars on how to backpack and are very helpful. Several hundred members are very active, about 2000 not so active as is typical with every club.

http://www.meetup.com/North-Texas-Outdoors/

Sept 20, 2014 Benbrook Lake, Texas - South Holiday Park Hammock Hangout Social and get together is a great time to meet a bunch of people and check out gear. 2 dozen to 100 people expected to attend, get there early if you want to find a parking spot. Just double checked the discussion, it is also an over night campout. I cannot attend this I am teaching a WW kayak class in San Marcos that weekend.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-02-2014 at 19:56. Reason: edit: link to NTO club

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast