Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Cinch Buckle / Dutch Clip question

I'm looking to make an upgrade to my hammock suspension and wanted to use cinch buckles for ease of use. I have multiple hammocks, and I also have a son in Scouts who I am getting into hammocking ( $$$ ) so I'm trying to make at least one of my setups dead easy to use, and cost effective as well.

The cinch buckles look pretty much foolproof. I am sure I can use them with all my hammocks ( tablecloths and a couple of Yukons ). My question is more about the strap system going into the buckles. Most people I see on here look like they use Dutch clips to make the 'around the tree' connection on the other end of the straps. If my straps already have a sewn loop can't I simple run the buckle end of the strap through the loop and down to hammock end?

I'm guessing the Dutch hooks eliminate strap to strap friction and fraying, as well as making adjustments as simple as disconnecting one end of the clip and moving so I can see their benefits. I guess I am just wanting reassurance that not using the clips in conjunction with the buckles isn't setting myself ( or even worse my son ) up for some catastrophic failure one dark, stormy, and cold night?

BTW I am ordering some Amsteel from Dutch to make some whoopies as well so I'm not going exclusively to buckles.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Yep - you can go round-the-tree-through-the-hole back to the hammock and cinch buckles with no problems.

Make it as easy as you can. Buckle, etc only speeds up set up and break down. I personally use the 'bunny round the tree - bunny through the hole' method with no problems - as do my two sons.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No worries there. The Dutch clips allow the webbing to stay attached to the hammock and make tree attachment easier. Nothing wrong with just fedding the webbing through the sewn loop. It just takes an extra few seconds.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    Most people I see on here look like they use Dutch clips to make the 'around the tree' connection on the other end of the straps. If my straps already have a sewn loop can't I simple run the buckle end of the strap through the loop and down to hammock end?
    Yes, the purpose of a Dutch clip is so you don't have to thread the Dutch buckle/Cinch buckle through the looped end. Instead you'd wrap it round the tree and connect to the tree strap(no threading), a carabiner does the same thing... but it's not a dutchclip. (It'll save you 5 seconds if your hammock and tree straps are separate or be the only way you could do it if your tree straps and hammock are permanently connected together.)
    Watch Dutch's video on how to use them.

Cinch buckles are great (mine are currently enroute). You have a few options on how to use them too. Cinch buckles make it easy to use the full length of webbing. Makes it easy when your trees are closer together where whoopie minimum length of determined by the exit of the bury. You could consider using Dutch Whoopie hooks on your cinch buckle continuous loop too. (like in the picture) so transferring the suspension from hammock to hammock is virtually instant.

I have a pair of Dutch clips Cinch Buckles on the way to me... this is how I plan to use them. Clip -> webbing -> cinch buckle -> continuous amsteel loop with whoopie hook -> continuous loop larksheaded around hammock.

HYOH.
    Last edited by kerryandjane; 08-01-2014 at 10:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Strap thru the loop will work just fine - until you have to re-position the strap on a tree with lots of branches. I thought I would eliminate a carabiner or Dutch clip and just run the strap thru the loop. But on first use I had to slide my strap up the tree a few inches to get the proper hang and branches were in the way. I had to disconnect the strap from the buckles at the hammock, lay the hammock on the ground, un-loop the strap, and move it up the tree before re-assembling everything. I decided some hardware at the tree was worth any extra weight and bulk.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfMartin View Post
    Yep - you can go round-the-tree-through-the-hole back to the hammock and cinch buckles with no problems.

Make it as easy as you can. Buckle, etc only speeds up set up and break down. I personally use the 'bunny round the tree - bunny through the hole' method with no problems - as do my two sons.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Strap thru the loop will work just fine - until you have to re-position the strap on a tree with lots of branches. I thought I would eliminate a carabiner or Dutch clip and just run the strap thru the loop. But on first use I had to slide my strap up the tree a few inches to get the proper hang and branches were in the way. I had to disconnect the strap from the buckles at the hammock, lay the hammock on the ground, un-loop the strap, and move it up the tree before re-assembling everything. I decided some hardware at the tree was worth any extra weight and bulk.
    Excellent point about the branches. I see a definite benefit in that case.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I think part of my quandry dealt with handing my son $20 worth small, lightweight gear I was sure he would loose shortly after his first hang LOL. I should trust him more, but experience colors my perception

The Scoutmaster in me just kicked in and I think I'll buy a pair for myself and show my son the benefits. He can choose to purchase/earn his own if he'd like

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    THIS is the #1 benefit of Dutch clips and it is not an insignificant one. Everywhere I've camped, the trees have low branches that conflict with the tree strap and my initial wrap is just a guess. More often than not, I move at least one of the straps.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    It also defeats the primary advantage of cinch buckles: being able to leave the tree straps connected to the hammock. You have to remove the tree strap from the buckle in order to pull it through the loop. Packing in a hurry can result in leaving the tree strap around the tree---something to consider with young people who are easily distracted. Either a Dutch Clip or Biner will allow you to keep your entire suspension connected to the hammock at all times. The Dutch Clip is lighter and easier to use IMHO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast