DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket

New-ish hanger in North Texas

I've finally decided to chime in and say hello. Been lurking around here for a few months gathering enough information to fuel what seems to be a new addiction. Right now I'm in an ENO setup and blue poly tarp that I started with but have quickly come to realize I would like better gear. In what I realize is a semi-futile effort to limit the damage to my wallet I continue to surf around here trying to find the best "one and done" setup. Most of my camping experience has been car camping (read: beer fests at the lake with my buddies) but I have since taken a few solo trips and really like the idea of backpacking trips, and more minimalist camping trips. I'm Leaning heavily towards Dream Hammocks Thunderbird but the tarp options have me baffled as far as what I "need."

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees!

One of the best ways to learn about gear options is to attend a group hang.

There are two in TX, (The Butt Bake next weekend and the Texas Fall Group Hang in November),and one in LA, (in October),on the horizon. Great folks at all of these will be glad to show you what they use and give you ideas on how to use what you have if you have questions.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    That's a great idea, thank you! Unfortunately I won't make the one for next weekend, but where do I find information about the hang in November?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    That's a great idea, thank you! Unfortunately I won't make the one for next weekend, but where do I find information about the hang in November?
    Here is the link to the planning thread. You can read it as well as links to previous years and trip reports.

Come participate in the conversation and join us in the trees.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on UncleMJM idea of a group hang if at all possible. But another option would be for me or someone else in the area to meet you at a local park with as much hammock related gear as we can both (and others plz) bring and try out various set ups. See the pros and cons of different tarps, guy lines, etc.

Your said "have quickly come to realize I would like better gear." this is a dangerous trap to fall into, there is no end to it, there is always better gear to be purchased, then a vendor comes out with even a better model of what you just bought, just like buying a car or electronics. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!. I'm joking just a little, so good to know what is reasonable starter system. I try to tell myself value of hammock IS SIMPLICITY! dang gone it! LOL

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    UncleMJM: Thanks! That sounds like a great time, already reserved a campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    But another option would be for me or someone else in the area to meet you at a local park with as much hammock related gear as we can both (and others plz) bring and try out various set ups. See the pros and cons of different tarps, guy lines, etc.
    That would be great, and much appreciated! My work schedule is slightly erratic but I'll send you a PM and see what can be worked out schedule wise. Perhaps start a thread for a mini-event? I know there is at least one other newbie in DFW that recently posted in the intro forum with many of the same questions, specifically about tarps.

this is a dangerous trap to fall into, there is no end to it... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!.
    A lesson I am well versed in from my other outdoor activities... The good news for me is that once I find something that works well for me, I turn into something of a grouchy old man, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buuuut, gear does wear out.

I try to tell myself value of hammock IS SIMPLICITY! dang gone it! LOL
    That's what attracted me to hammock camping, coming from a background of hauling everything short of the kitchen sink in and out of the campsite. It was nice to have camp set up, hammock hung to relax in while watching my buddies struggle with their castle tents and full sized airbeds... just for a moment before getting up to help 'em. Suddenly they were full of questions about this "hammock nonsense" they'd been giving me grief about.

• + New Posts