Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

Coldest hang, what was your setup?

I do a lot of cold weather camping, but I'm new to hanging. Just curious what works best for the rest of you hangers.

Please list temps and the gear required to keep you warm. Hammock type, clothing, underquilt, topquilt, etc.

Thanks in advance for the info. This site is awesome!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Wow, such a question.

At the Mt Rogers hangout in January this year, there were around 40 set ups, & not one repete.

My set up: Jacks R Better (JRB) no snivveler (down) underquilt top quilt ala RayWay with alpine upgrade. Hammock sock over it all. Then everything covered by a large tarp.

Join us next year & get a few tips & some hands on lookin at.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I've done down to 30 degrees. I normally sleep in my clothes so at the 30 degree mark I was wearing smartwool baselayer top, patagonia baselayer bottom, hiking pants and shirt, fleece top, and stocking cap.

For my hammock, I was using a DIY Speer type hammock with the Campmor 20 degree down rectangular sleeping bag pulled up around me and the hammock like a peapod so it provided both top and bottom insulation. I can do down farther in this set up but haven't had the opportunity yet.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    the MN clan has details of their -26*F hang and Turk has some insights on the cold temps too. I know there's vid from Shug and Turk on their exploits in the wicked cold.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Ist night ever in a hammock, Hennessy(HH) with Super Shelter(SS), 22*F. But I didn't know what I was doing and froze, abandoned hammock about 0200 for ground. Then the rest of the week in the 30s- low 40s, with high wind, slept warm and snug. 20*F Cat's Meow bag.

Later, many high 20s to low 30s with basic SS plusCat's Meow 20*F bag, from barely warm enough to plenty warm.

Later, high teens in SS augmented with extra insulation(jackets or down vests) or Garlington Insulators in Undercover, 0*F bag---- warm enough. ( wind calm). Also, same insulation at 27*F but very high winds. Had a MacCat deluxe tarp, as opposed to the diamond HH tarp I ahd been using. Adequately warm.

18-20*F with Speer hammock and SPE with a full length Ridgerest pad plus a torso length Thermarest Ultra light and zero degree bag-- toasty warm.

11*F-- 5 mph wind- Speer hammock- Speer PeaPod, warm clothing, plus 40* bag as top quilt and space blanket in down PeaPod. Warm.

One week at 9000-10500 feet in the Rockies, 27*F-mid 30s, lots of wind and rain, sleet, snow. JRB 10x11 tarp over Claytor No Net hammock surrounded by Speer PeaPod plus space blanket and warm clothing( down vest, 14 oz Polargard hooded jacket, but no top quilt) Warm.

18*F- very high winds- War Bonnet Black Bird, JRB Mt, Washington Under Quilt, usual warm clothing(not sure exactly what), 0*F bag--- hot water bottle at start- plenty warm.

11-12*F JRB Bridge hammock with JRB Mt. Wash. Underquilt., usual warm clothing, Golite 20*F top quilt, started with hot water bottle. Warm until about 0300, top layer of quilt was quite wet from condensation, woke up to pee realizing I was not quite warm enough on top. Swithched to 0*F bag with HOOD,(but no new hot water bottle) quickly toasty warm and back to sleep until time to get up. PLenty warm.

Same set up as above with Golite quilt, NO hot water bottle. App. 27*F with snow( Feb Sipsey Widerness trip). Woke up about 0200 feeling slightly chilled on top, added Marmot down hood, then slept toasty all night.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-26-2009 at 21:56.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good query .... here is a video of me and kwpapke hanging in -26º temps. Shows gear and such ....... -26 Minnesota Hang
    Also here is a thread I started on my -7º using only pads in the hammock: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3185
    Non-Shiverin' Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 07-26-2009 at 17:23.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Z Lite
    5 deg F in ENO hammock w/thermarest pad and military sleep system ( http://www.militarysurplusdepot.com/...e_reissue.html ) wearing midweight poly thermals. Warm all night.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Z Lite
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good query .... here is a video of me and kwpapke hanging in -26º temps. Shows gear and such ....... -26 Minnesota Hang
    Shiverin' Shug
    Shug...your videos are better than comedy central! My favorite is still "Sling Boil"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    4*F + 10" of snow in 24 hrs (we were snowshoeing)
    30* Marmot Arroyo down sleeping bag used as a TQ...Down jacket laid over top
    mid-weight poly base layer/mid weight fleece top...sierra design down booties...ray way bomber hat
    Winter down Yeti (2/3 UQ by Warbonnet)...3/8" ccf by gg doubled over under my legs and feet
    Blackbird hammock (1.7 DL)...OES Sil Ultra tarp
    4* was pushing the limit of the 30* sleeping bag...would replace with my 0* Moonstone sleeping bag to do all over

also, used the same set-up (except used the 0* bag) for a hang that started in mid 20s and was about 7*F by morning with 30-40 mph winds...wind chill was -25*F.
    Only problem was my fingers froze taking my gear down!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post
    Shug...your videos are better than comedy central! My favorite is still "Sling Boil"
    Whooooo. I weep!
    SB is my favorite too. ..... well it was my most fun to make. Scared myself!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast