Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

A Warning - Suspension integrity can be trumped by carelessness

Just thought I would share this as a reminder to others.

This was the result of user error (mine) and not a criticism of any product.
    I hung my hammock using the webbing and buckle shown in the picture. I tested it by laying in it, then made an adjustment and tested again. As i put my full weight into it (200#) I heard a ripping sound and dropped to the ground. The webbing at the head end had ripped at the point where it passes thru the open hook of the hardware. The webbing that passed thru the 'buckle' area was undamaged. The webbing at the foot end was also undamaged.
    My guess is that I somehow got the webbing out of place and it got punctured by the 'hook' on the hardware. Once punctured, it weakened the webbing enough to tear in two.
    Just be careful - at least no one was around to see me hit the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Good to hear you did not get injured. Also a reminder for us all to "only hang as high as we are willing to fall" like our mother's always told us. And why when on the trail it is good to have backup cord or straps, because the only ones of us who have not experienced "user error" are the liars. LOL

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am convinced that webbing is nearly always the weak link in a hammock system. Hence, I have recently gone from the lightest webbing I could find, to beefier stuff.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i did something similar a few months back, with the same results! ------definitely dont hang any higher than you are willing to fall! (Glad you didnt get hurt!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I love the whoopie sling suspension, but that can fail too-------the toggle breaking, the whoopie slipping over the knot, the toggle slipping side ways so it goes thru the whoopie etc. In Ed Speers book "hammock camping" he recommended regularly inspecting your hammock for damage, and looking carefully at the suspension before you put all of your weight on it. (Great advice I dont always follow!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    I have one web strap damaged because the strap was not straight in a different type of buckle.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Sometimes we feel we are better because we have "evolved" to the next level by elevation. Important to remember to keep our "feet" on the ground.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

I sleep in my hammock outside each night. I rigged a heavy tarp for the everyday use. I noticed my 1" straps are compressing the tree so I just ordered some 2" webbing from Dutchware Gear hoping to give the trees a break and put some fresh suspension straps on as these are out in the weather 24/7. I may have to rig something more forgiving in the future since I'm hanging on the same two trees every night.
    Last edited by Mic; 08-03-2014 at 10:52. Reason: make it prettier
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I love the whoopie sling suspension, but that can fail too-------the toggle breaking, the whoopie slipping over the knot, the toggle slipping side ways so it goes thru the whoopie etc. In Ed Speers book "hammock camping" he recommended regularly inspecting your hammock for damage, and looking carefully at the suspension before you put all of your weight on it. (Great advice I dont always follow!)
    Exactly why I use a camp nano 23 carabiner instead of a toggle
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    ... the only ones of us who have not experienced "user error" are the liars. LOL
    Got a good laugh at that one! And it's got a lot of truth behind it.

Justpassinthru, thanks for sharing your experience.

I wish more "liars" were willing to do that. I haven't yet (knock on wood) had a suspension break, but have sat on bug netting, had a bamboo frame collapse on me, and barely escaped a full flip once.

I certainly believe in the "don't hang higher than you're willing to fall, or over anything you're not willing to fall onto" mantra.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast