Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images

Condensation theory

While driving home from my weekend hang (and work detail repairing lean2s and outhouses) a theory flashed before me. Many of us have experienced back condensation when using a ccf, or some other vapor barrier against our back. It makes sense why condensation occurs. The drive home was hot and sunny and I noticed my back was getting sweaty against the car seat when I contemplated why this doesn't occur with ground dwellers. A person on the ground using a ccf or vapor barrier should also experience condensation. Some perhaps do. A possible reason it is so common in hammockers came to me in a flash. We don't toss and turn. A person who is uncomfortable while sleeping will be constantly changing postions in an attempt to get comfortable, these motions allow for the mositure to escape from being exposed. While in a hammock, I very quickly find that sweet spot and my body doesn't move until I awake. Using a ccf, I experience some condensation. I know I sleep much better hanging than I do in bed, where I toss and turn.

In conclusion:

Hammocks=more comfort=little/no position changes=condensation with ccf.

Ground=less comfort=changing positions=little/no condensation.

Your thoughts?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I don't have a direct response to your theory...but I think that referencing Youngblood's Vapor Barrier post(s) are relevant to this topic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I toss and turn more in a hammock trying to get comfortable than on the ground. I absolutely love hammocking, and choose it first every time, but boy do I sleep good on the ground. I might be alone here, on this forum, but I just cannot relate to having a hard time sleeping on the ground.

Anathema... I know.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'm interested to see this theory fleshed out, but for a quick digression, I'm with you, Sclittlefield. I like hammocks mostly because of the wide variety of hanging options and the innovative nature of this community. I can sleep absolutely wonderfully on a hardwood floor with no pillow.

Here is the ugly proof that I need no hammock: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/...large/nap?v=3S
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    heh... I usually did well on the ground. too well in fact. Once I was down I couldn't get back up. Not a good thing. I loved my tents but let's face it.. If I have to choose between falling over trying to get up in the morning and sliding out of my raised bed... I'll slide every time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Noseeum
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Strap Works
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    While driving home from my weekend hang (and work detail repairing lean2s and outhouses) a theory flashed before me. Many of us have experienced back condensation when using a ccf, or some other vapor barrier against our back. It makes sense why condensation occurs. The drive home was hot and sunny and I noticed my back was getting sweaty against the car seat when I contemplated why this doesn't occur with ground dwellers. A person on the ground using a ccf or vapor barrier should also experience condensation. Some perhaps do. A possible reason it is so common in hammockers came to me in a flash. We don't toss and turn. A person who is uncomfortable while sleeping will be constantly changing postions in an attempt to get comfortable, these motions allow for the mositure to escape from being exposed. While in a hammock, I very quickly find that sweet spot and my body doesn't move until I awake. Using a ccf, I experience some condensation. I know I sleep much better hanging than I do in bed, where I toss and turn.

In conclusion:

Your thoughts?
    I'm a neebie having only slept two nights in a hammock so I really don't know what I'm doing yet as far as staying warm/dry in a hammock but here it goes.....what if the you punched 1/4" holes all in a CCF pad ? Would that allow moisture to escape and still keep you insulated? Won't cost but about $6 to try.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Problem Child, you're on the right track. Someone else just mentioned that the other day; I think they jokingly called them scupper holes. I've found that Ridgerests work nicely for the same reason - there's some air movement under your back. In fact, per the original post, it's similar to what I have in my car in summer. When the weather gets sticky, I use one of those beaded seat covers like you see in taxis. It allows air to flow between my back and the seat and keeps me from having a big wet spot on my lower back when I get out of the car.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    When the weather gets sticky, I use one of those beaded seat covers like you see in taxis. .

heh... from my experience with pads it sounds like roller derby all night in the hammock. My usual ploy is to pitch the tarp high, move the Super Shelter undercover out of the way and hope the breeze does its job.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Whoa, sorry, I should have clarified. I use one of those seat covers on the driver's seat of my car. I was thinking back to the OP's example of driving in a hot car. One of those things would be torture in a hammock!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post

In conclusion:

Your thoughts?
    DuctTape,

Your therory is at least partially correct.... The wrap of non breathable material is anoother major factor, vs the flat lay on the ground.

The real is is so what? and What are you going to do about it?

Some don't sweat as heavily, don't care and choose to gut it out... When temps are mild this may be just fine....

At the higher or lower temps this back sweating can be real issues.... A puddle of uncomfortable sweat.... or a cold damp, heat robbing, constantly going, poor nights sleep.

Best answer for comfort is a breathable under insulation....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast