Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Another Bridge, This time....

Using Hyper D 1.6 Diamond Ripstop from www.ripstopbytheroll.com

3apyguhe.jpg

Its a toss up between this and Argon. I think the Hyper D is a little less stretchy, but its still very comfortable. Its got more of a silk feel to it rather than the cottony feel of Argon.

This body measures 55 x 80 with a 7" curve. Im still using the 47" spreaders and eliminating 2" from the overall width made a big difference in the comfort.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Looks great! So, in your previous version the fabric was 57" wide with 47" bars?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thats a nice looking rig and I really like that color. How has removing 2" affected the comfort? Is it just that the material is spread out more using the same bars?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Looks great! So, in your previous version the fabric was 57" wide with 47" bars?
    Yes. I went with 75% of the width for the bar length. I wanted to increase the ratio to 80% and rather than buying new spreaders, I narrowed the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Typicalsloan View Post
    Thats a nice looking rig and I really like that color. How has removing 2" affected the comfort? Is it just that the material is spread out more using the same bars?
    Yes, essentially. It opens the body up at the head end a bit for more room and pulls the center up for more support.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Not sure if you can see the difference. In the picture in the first post, I had the body width at 57". After getting into it, I remembered how much more comfortable the body width at 55" was with the same bars. So I went back to the machine and rolled the ends in to take up 2". Here is a pic after I did that...

vemy6e7u.jpg

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    OK, I haven't made a bridge yet, but yours looks so elegantly simple that I'm now seriously tempted. What are the specs and your source for the poles?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Opie, I've been bitten by the DIY bridge bug, too. I just decided that I don't think cord vs. webbing is worth the weight saved.

Can you go over your math for the 75% vs 80% of the bar width. I'm not following it. I get 82% and 85% for 57" and 55", respectively. I ask because I've been applying TeeDee's suggested ratio of 75% for the head spreader vs. fabric width all my hammocks so far, but I might be willing to try a different ratio based on your results.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have one of Opie's bridges. Not had a lot of time in it but what I did have was very comfortable and could catch a breeze.
    Now to get more time in it)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    OK, I haven't made a bridge yet, but yours looks so elegantly simple that I'm now seriously tempted. What are the specs and your source for the poles?
    I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, and since I dont backpack, weight isn't an issue. So I used the full width of the fabric. In retrospect, when I make a template Ill be able to adjust the width easily by placing the template accordingly. That being said, Ive watched Grizzs vids and instructions several times and copied Hiking Dads design as well. Copying HD design was an attempt to finish the hammock by doing the end caps. A few builds later and I think Ive gotten the finer points worked out to bring everything together. My next one will probably be a complete hammock.

Here are the resources I studied to start making my own.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=bridge

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-%28part-1%29

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Endcap-Origami

The poles came from www.questoutfitters.com. I'm using the .742 poles but only because they are long. My Grizz Bridge has the .625 poles.

The daunting part, for me, was laying out and cutting the curve. How I accomplished this was to cut my body length then fold it in half width wise so the edges were together and square. I found the center, which for me was 41" and made a mark 7" down from the edge. I then took a tent pole and 2 1 gallon jugs of whatever the wife had in the basement and used them to secure the ends of the tent poles as I pulled the center down to line up with my 7" mark. I did eventually fold the body in half length wise and do the same thing so I cut my cutting distance in half and went through 4 layers. A rotary cutter makes life easy.

I realize I am giving the cliff notes version..... But study Grizzs vids and Hiking Dads vids and youll be on your way to tweaking your own concoction.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Opie, I've been bitten by the DIY bridge bug, too. I just decided that I don't think cord vs. webbing is worth the weight saved.

Can you go over your math for the 75% vs 80% of the bar width. I'm not following it. I get 82% and 85% for 57" and 55", respectively. I ask because I've been applying TeeDee's suggested ratio of 75% for the head spreader vs. fabric width all my hammocks so far, but I might be willing to try a different ratio based on your results.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    Yeah.... I tend to round up most of the time. To be honest, Im not exactly sure how I arrived at the lengths I did looking back and checking my math. I must have been in a different state of mind or used a percentage I dont recall using.

I do like the width at 55 and the spreaders at 47, though. I do have a set of 43" bars, Ill do some playing between the two lengths and see what I like better. I have a feeling it will still be the 47.

EDIT: I seem to recall the very first one I made managed to end at 59" wide. Thats how I arrived at a 47" spreader length. I just never readjusted the spreader length. I like the results... I dont like to feel confined in a tube. That coupled with the stretch characteristics of both the fabrics I am using seems to be working out.
    Last edited by opie; 08-03-2014 at 17:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast