Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which starter hammock?

So I've been looking at hammocks for some time now and have settled upon a few that I like. They are all around $60 and come with an integrated bug net. The ones I have looked at are the:

Skeeter beeter pro- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AI...&pi=SX200_QL40

Green hornet w/covered ends- http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks...h-Covered-Ends

Green hornet w/double zipper- http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks...Hornet-Hammock

DD Frontline hammock- http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-frontline-hammock

DD Travel hammock- http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-frontline-hammock

I really like the DD travel hammock which is the same as the frontline in price and everything except that it has a waterproof bottom which is cool but I worry it will be too warm. I worry about its size though as I am a teenager and around 5'6"

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    11' DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have no firsthand experience with those companies but I can tell you a waterproof hammock bottom sounds like a bad idea. It will not breath (see warning on website) and you will sweat. It also weighs more. That would be my concern.

Edit: I also see that you are concerned about being too warm. That probably not be the problem. You would sweat because it is not breathable. Then you would get what is called cold butt syndrome because there is no insulation. Then you would be cold, laying in a puddle of your own sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDmoo View Post
    I have no firsthand experience with those companies but I can tell you a waterproof hammock bottom sounds like a bad idea. It will not breath (see warning on website) and you will sweat. It also weighs more. That would be my concern.

Edit: I also see that you are concerned about being too warm. That probably not be the problem. You would sweat because it is not breathable. Then you would get what is called cold butt syndrome because there is no insulation. Then you would be cold, laying in a puddle of your own sweat.
    Weight isn't too much of a problem for me right now. But living in Wisconsin most camping in spring and fall drops down to anywhere from 40's to below freezing at night time. But I get warm easily and the waterproof bottom may not be that good of a choice. Material wise I'm not sure whether a nylon or a polyester hammock would be more comfortable. The skeeter beeter pro looks good to me except for the review about how it's not a very good hammock for asymmetrical lay. Also how expensive is shipping from the uk to the states?

expensive. to ship just the green hornet is going to run $26-$30. with matching tarp from tw, the green hornet was going to run $180 shipped. for that you can get a hennessey explorer ultra light for $199 and it'll weigh less and you'll get it sooner

also look at simply light designs (they have a mosquito hammock for $99), Bakpocket products (their mosquito hammock is $89), or hammock bliss's sky bed bug free ($98 w/ free shipping on amazon)
    Last edited by arolfsen; 08-03-2014 at 20:38.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I got 2 GT-SBP's & have no problem lying flat.

@oldbiker
    Does it have plenty of space for laying? How is the quality like (frayed stitching etc)? Does it work well for warm and cold weather? Does it compare to the other hammocks in terms of quality?

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have 13 hammocks, 2 which are SBP's. They are large hammocks with plenty space. The material is very soft & comfortable. My wife has been using one of them for a couple years and it shows no wear at all.

As far as working in warm & cold weather, most all hammocks will be close to the same. As it gets cooler you MUST start using some kind of insulation. When it is only cool, I use a piece of reflective insulation I got @ Lowes. Later I use the famous blue pad from Wal-Mart. Cold I use my under quilt.

I would say the quality is as good as my more expensive hammocks. Hammocks are relatively cheap. Where the expense comes in is in insulation & tarps ect.

You can get a relative flat lay with any gathered end hammock if the material is wide enough & proper sag is set. Most all this comes from practice and studying the forum & asking questions if your search doesent provide what you want.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Well begun is half done. Get a Trail Lair from Simple Light Designs, which is where I ended up after much experimentation. In the end, you will save money, which you can then use for the other parts of a hammock system (tarp, top quilt, underquilt). See it at:

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

By the way, when you're ready for the quilts, take a look at:

http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com/

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Out of all the ones I have tried then kept the SB Pro is in the top two and you do not want a waterproof bottom!!!
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The only commercially made hammocks I ever owned were Grand Trunk hammock and they were nice. With that said, I make my own hammocks.
    It's nice being able to make your own gear, and know that the stitching is quality.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast