Superior trip planning

Hi all,

The lady and I have never visited superior and are looking for an idea of where to start.

We have 5 1/2 days (Leaving tomorrow at noon) and returning Sunday, from Madison WI (approx 5 hours to Duluth) which puts us in the superior area around 5pm tomorrow. Never having visited the area we are just a bit overwhelmed with the abundance of information and things to see and do.

Our ideal trip would be day hiking and/or mix of single overnight trails where we could come back to the vehicle at least every other day to make things a bit more manageable logistically as this will be the ladies first overnight backpacking trip.

Is it going to be too ambitious to try and spend time in the porcupine mts as well as the north shore? Any recommendation on north shore vs south shore in regards to what we are trying to get out of this trip (as described briefly above)? We definitely would like to experience the north shore, but wouldn't mind seeing some of the south as well if time permits, just dont want to have a rushed feeling.

Any current conditions or things we should be aware of heading up there this week?
    Last edited by capc3; 08-04-2014 at 12:39.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS for now
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    From Madison too! I have been to Porcupines and can vouch that it is a wonderful place. Based on the time you have, I would personally stick around the north shore and hit the state parks with day hikes in the parks or on the SHT.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    I'm from Ontonagon, 15 miles from the Porkies. Weather looks great in this area for the time you would be up here. It's about a 3 hr drive from Duluth. If you go to the Porkies, go to the Lake of the Clouds and hike either West or East on the escarpment, great views and I usually see hawks above and below me. I've hung in either direction.

This is East of Lake of the Clouds, looking at the lake.
    DSCN2505 by U.P. Evo8, on Flickr

Heavy
    I know it is a bit further North (but the drive along the shore is nice)...

There is a pretty nice loop that goes up one side of the Cascade river on the SHT, and then you could come back on the trail on the other side of the river. There are 3 campsites on the river and one that is just a bit further of a hike at the "point". The parking and head of both of these routes is right in Cascade River State Park.

Here is a link to that section of the SHT - http://www.shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/s078.php
    The loop would be the up and back on the far left of the picture. Or if you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you can always hike to the next parking spot and have the shuttle take you back to your car Lots of options on the SHT!

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Walmart clear plst
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    old duffle straps
    Haven't been to the South Shore but have spent extensive time on SHT on North Shore. I think north shore has more elevation from what I've heard. Would recommend Split Rock River loop and Cascade River loop (as mentioned by Heavy). Also many nice peaks to summit including Carlton Peak, Oberg mtn, Lookout mtn (can do lookout as part of Cascade rvr loop), etc... Would look here at maps: http://www.shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/s078.php (click up and down for other sections). I think there is an iphone app that has a list of recommended hikes also (and it used to be on the web but I can't find it right now).

Also would recommend stopping in to the SHTA office in Two Harbors and talking to them and buying the map pack for (I think) $5.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I third the Porkies. There are great places to hike-camp-return where you can travel in a very reasonable loop or just follow the same trail back. Breathtaking beauty. Cold at night, though. Plan warm. The DNR website will fill you in on where fires are allowed, etc, and help you pick a trail suitable to your hiking preferences (beginner, advanced). They are super helpful over the phone, too.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

• + New Posts