10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi

(Thread Size And Needle Size for hammock fabrics) Just Getting it together

Just picked up my $25.00 machine this weekend, waiting for a new belt to arrive to put her to use. I ordered the $10.00 DIY Box from Rip Stop By The Roll. Now watching ramblnrev's We Make Gear series.

What size needles and what size thread should I get for hammock and tarp fabric. Also I have seen online that there is UV polyester outdoor thread. Sounds like a good idea?

Thanks,
    Marshall

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Most folks use the Guttermann Mara thread available from DIY Gear as well. Use the smallest needle you can with the thread you choose. Rev would tell you that any good Polyester thread will work.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I'm using Microtex 80/12 with my Mara 70. It's working well for me. If you want a lifetime supply of needles for a good price, this is a good place to look.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8brew View Post
    ... Also I have seen online that there is UV polyester outdoor thread. Sounds like a good idea?...
    All polyester is less effected by UV than nylon is. That's one of the reasons 100% polyester thread is recommended.

The "outdoor" threads sold at the big box stores is usually heavier weight thread than you want for the hammock and tarp fabrics we commonly use.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm using Microtex 80/12 with my Mara 70. It's working well for me. If you want a lifetime supply of needles for a good price, this is a good place to look.
    Thats a great needle price. Is the Microtex a flat shank needle? before I buy a lifetime supply haaa...

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Thats a great needle price. Is the Microtex a flat shank needle? before I buy a lifetime supply haaa...
    I'm honestly not sure what you mean by flat shank. It has a finer point than the general use needless. They are 15x1 size of that's what you're taking about.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'd thought (incorrectly) that Microtex was a Schmetz trademark.

How do you find those 'Organ' brand needles? (I hope they are OK as I ordered a bunch via ebay...)

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    'Microtex' describes the point style of the needle- it's a 'sharp' point needle, which is what you need for working with woven fabrics. Avoid 'ball point' or (IMO) 'Universal' needles if you are working with light nylons and polyester woven fabrics. Knits like fleece and pile can be sewn with sharp needles as well. 'Leather' needles have a cutting point.
    If you are talking about your 'new' Pfaff 260, it uses 'System 130' a.k.a. 130/705 a.k.a. 15x1 needles which do have a flat shank - the part that goes in the needle clamp is 'semi-circular' in cross-section. They are the most common needles used in home machines, though you do need to check your owner manual or online.
    (The flat goes toward the hook/bobbin - toward the back in your Pfaff.)
    Some needles for industrial machines have a round shank - that's how the categories are arranged on the website (Embroidery supply) linked.

So, that deals with the 'class' or 'system' or 'type' of needle you need.

Next decision will be 'size' a.k.a. gauge 10-12-14 a.k.a. 70-80-90 etc...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    'Microtex' describes the point style of the needle- it's a 'sharp' point needle, which is what you need for working with woven fabrics. Avoid 'ball point' or (IMO) 'Universal' needles if you are working with light nylons and polyester woven fabrics. Knits like fleece and pile can be sewn with sharp needles as well. 'Leather' needles have a cutting point.
    If you are talking about your 'new' Pfaff 260, it uses 'System 130' a.k.a. 130/705 a.k.a. 15x1 needles which do have a flat shank - the part that goes in the needle clamp is 'semi-circular' in cross-section. They are the most common needles used in home machines, though you do need to check your owner manual or online.
    (The flat goes toward the hook/bobbin - toward the back in your Pfaff.)
    Some needles for industrial machines have a round shank - that's how the categories are arranged on the website (Embroidery supply) linked.

So, that deals with the 'class' or 'system' or 'type' of needle you need.

Next decision will be 'size' a.k.a. gauge 10-12-14 a.k.a. 70-80-90 etc...
    In the Manual it said 130 Flat shank i left the 130 out. dope...

they have a 25.00 min order was going to buy the 80/12 what other needles will i need? Webbing take thicker needles?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    they have a 25.00 min order was going to buy the 80/12 what other needles will i need? Webbing take thicker needles?
    I use an 80 most of the time, but if you are going to order $25 worth, consider a few of other gauges as well from 70-110. Once you have the machine working well, other sewing projects will 'appear' ..
    Light webbing usually sews OK with an 80, but I've had some webbing that had 'hard' fiber bundles that deflected the needle - usually breaking it. So a heavier needle can be handy there.

Bigger gauge needles have larger eyes and are easier to thread. Adding a threader to your collection is useful - some sewing needle packs come with one included.
    needlethreader.JPG
    There are 'automated' threaders as well. Most new mid- and hi-end machines have auto threaders. The Pfaff 1222 and others had a 'manual' threader built-in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast