Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Can you make it any farther away?

Just kidding. I will try to make it, but that is getting out there for us mid Ohio hangers.

Stormcrow
    Yeah, I know. But you can use my house as a mid-point.

It may end up being a core of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois hangers due to the distance, but I hope some adventurous souls make the trek. It just sucks that it is so flat around here, the trails are all paved for bikes or too close to civilization or have no camping on the trail, and that there are no long remote trails close by. Yellow River sounded like a valid option, and it may be, but with my Dad's health, I kind of need to stay as close to their home this fall as possible, or as much as I can plan for. This is a good compromise for me, because I am very close if needed, and cell phone service should be available everywhere along this route. It gets spotty around Lutsen, but once you go over the hill cell phone service is non-existent.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Fin,
    I've hiked about 3/4 of the trail and found the cell coverage to be very spotty at best and non-existent in a lot of places. It's ok on 61. Wherever we go it will be fun to be hiking and hanging again with all who can make it.

Did they find anything out from your dad's test's?

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    Fin,
    I've hiked about 3/4 of the trail and found the cell coverage to be very spotty at best and non-existent in a lot of places. It's ok on 61. Wherever we go it will be fun to be hiking and hanging again with all who can make it.

Did they find anything out from your dad's test's?

Randy
    I think it depends on where you are, what carrier you have and how far up the hill you go. I have US Cellular, and have gotten reception halfway up the Gunflint when nobody else has even a bar. Lots of cell shadows there, though - you are right.

Nothing good. Going to the Mayo with him this weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Just kidding. I will try to make it, but that is getting out there for us mid Ohio hangers.

Stormcrow
    2X that...
    I really want to see the SHT though...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    2X that...
    LOL. Me too........

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Stormcrow
    2X that...

I really hope with the assistance of us locals you guys can make it ! I know some of us gush about the SHT quite a bit on the forums and I'd love it if you guys could experience our slice of hiking heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Two of my favorites!!!!!
    I will be in South Carolina on those dates .... actually most of September so ... alas, I am more that likely out!
    When I get back in town I will check my calender to see what I do have open.
    But ... I do have early November open if no one fears some chill.......
    Sulkin' Shug
    If for some reason you are booked during this trip, we could always do a late fall/early winter hang as well. If people were interested we could also have a late season hang a little more south-central (Ozark Trail ?) so logistically it might be more assessable for people not from the Nort. Just an idea...

Your timing on this thread fin was awesome. I do think we should defiantly have a Norther Hang close to the color peak. I was starting the process of planning my "big fall trip" when you posted it. I was debating between the SHT, BTR, Pow-Wow, or heading down to the Ozarks. Now with this thread started I think the decision is made. Plus, as we talked about on the NCT, it's such a great feeling introducing people to some of the gems we have up here. Can you tell I'm excited to hang with you guys again ?!? Well most of you... I guess I can tolerate SC chainsaw for another extended weekend.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    I really hope with the assistance of us locals you guys can make it ! I know some of us gush about the SHT quite a bit on the forums and I'd love it if you guys could experience our slice of hiking heaven.
    dude, you know how much I want to do this...but the timing hurts.

I am so down with a SHT trip...I just can't do all the trips in the same 12 months!
    This is only a 1600 mile drive from home...while the mid-west is located in the middle, it aint close to anything!
    I will come...just not this year (and I know I can call you and you'll go at the drop of a hat!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post

If for some reason you are booked during this trip, we could always do a late fall/early winter hang as well. If people were interested we could also have a late season hang a little more south-central (Ozark Trail ?) so logistically it might be more assessable for people not from the Nort. Just an idea...

Your timing on this thread fin was awesome. I do think we should defiantly have a Norther Hang close to the color peak. I was starting the process of planning my "big fall trip" when you posted it. I was debating between the SHT, BTR, Pow-Wow, or heading down to the Ozarks. Now with this thread started I think the decision is made. Plus, as we talked about on the NCT, it's such a great feeling introducing people to some of the gems we have up here. Can you tell I'm excited to hang with you guys again ?!? Well most of you... I guess I can tolerate SC chainsaw for another extended weekend.
    I really want to keep this on the October 15th weekend, but I am somewhat open to change and I really like your idea of having another later hang too, especially towards the Ozarks. Late season Ozarks might be real nice. Bummer that we are right between two meteor showers for this, the Draconids (Oct 8-9) and the Orionids (Oct 21-22), but that means we should still have some activity, just not peak. Maybe you can see a meteor, just not the blinking plane lights, right? Even if we get a smaller crew for this fall SHT trip due to the distance, it will still be a lot of fun no matter who shows up.

Poll will be going up shortly for dates.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Hey, on another note for you Minnesota hangers/hikers. Has anyone hiked the Root River trail? Or hung in the Richard J Dorer Memorial Forest? I will be in the area, and they popped out to me as possibilities.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Hey, on another note for you Minnesota hangers/hikers. Has anyone hiked the Root River trail? Or hung in the Richard J Dorer Memorial Forest? I will be in the area, and they popped out to me as possibilities.
    I canoed the Root back in high school but I'm not familiar with the trail (looking now). I do remember the river was lined with trees.

dude, you know how much I want to do this...but the timing hurts.

I am so down with a SHT trip...I just can't do all the trips in the same 12 months!
    This is only a 1600 mile drive from home...while the mid-west is located in the middle, it aint close to anything!
    Come on brother.... That's only one tank of gas for you. And if you average 160mph in your hybrid you could be here by dinner time !

I will come...just not this year (and I know I can call you and you'll go at the drop of a hat!)
    Anytime my friend !!!
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast