Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It would certainly speed up finding usable trees in the MS ( often jungle like) woods if I could just take a large cutting tool to the limbs and brush and saplings that are in my way!

Any one recognize that hammock? It has a channel like a Claytor. But it almost- kind of/maybe- looks like the left and right side is attached separately to the trees, leaving the gathered end wider than usual, almost like a Bridge, except no spreader bars. I don't really think that is it, but it sort of looks that way in the limited detail you can see. Wonder how he kept his back side warm?
    I initially thought it was a bridge but if you look carefully you can see it's channeled like a Claytor. The channel was extended when he first pulled it out which makes the hammock rectangular but when he started to tie it to the tree you could see the ends gathering. That's why I commented above that it appeared the hammock had never been used. I believe the original strap was threaded through the cannel and nothing else was done to it. I think he just took the two ends and wrapped/tied them around the tree.

Miguel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I thought it was interesting how he first thought about making the hole-in-the-ground his home for the night then later pulled out his hammock. Why would you look for a shealter if you already had a hammock in your pack? I suppose better protection from elements but did he not think about that before hand? Does anyone know who this guy is; journalist, survival expert, or just a random guy pulled off the street?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I don't think that he was looking at the hole in the ground as shelter, I think he was looking at it as a place to find gophers to eat.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I thought it was interesting how he first thought about making the hole-in-the-ground his home for the night then later pulled out his hammock. Why would you look for a shealter if you already had a hammock in your pack? I suppose better protection from elements but did he not think about that before hand? Does anyone know who this guy is; journalist, survival expert, or just a random guy pulled off the street?
    he is suposed to be a documentary maker/adventurer. for the amount of effort required to build his shelter for cooking, he could have just brought a larger tarp to rig up seperately.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My take on the LNT aspect...
    LNT is heavily promoted around areas that see higher numbers of backcountry visitors. Your a visitor because your passing thru (hiking, backpacking etc) Your not staying for any length of time and as such, you should leave this as they are as much as possible (everyone likes nature and no one wants to see your impact)
    Now, this situation is different.
    3 months is not passing thru...you actually living there. In this case, surviving there. This area is VERY remote...no concerns about overuse.
    IMO, any impact or changes this guy makes (within reason and killing game, hacking a few bushes or saplings for a shelter is within reason) to improve his chances of survival is acceptable.
    I know I would do the same
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    in the "pre" show, where he tested out his skills.... it looked like he stayed in one spot, made a shelter of small trees that he cut down but slept in a hammock. I couldn't figure out why he needed a shelter, especially one with what looked like about 2 to 3 inch gaps between the poles. What would be the point of using all that energy to make that kind of shelter??
    It looked like to me that on this 3 month trip that this guy will be hiking to different locations. Does anyone know if this will be for the entire 3 months or is he trying to get to some location where he'll make a base camp??? A base camp I can see trying to make a more sturdy shelter to live out of. But moving to different camps all the time, why bother?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    in the "pre" show, where he tested out his skills.... it looked like he stayed in one spot, made a shelter of small trees that he cut down but slept in a hammock. I couldn't figure out why he needed a shelter, especially one with what looked like about 2 to 3 inch gaps between the poles. What would be the point of using all that energy to make that kind of shelter??
    It looked like to me that on this 3 month trip that this guy will be hiking to different locations. Does anyone know if this will be for the entire 3 months or is he trying to get to some location where he'll make a base camp??? A base camp I can see trying to make a more sturdy shelter to live out of. But moving to different camps all the time, why bother?
    I have not seen the 'pre' show so I'm guessing...
    why make a second shelter? work on building skills, secondary storage, bored , another sitting/sleeping option, etc
    If you're not packing up and moving everyday, modifying camp would be natural. Even over the course of a week (let alone months), I would make changes to make camp more accommadating.
    Now, why 2-3 inches between poles? Easy, the poles are the same a roof joists in your house. Eventually, I'm sure that he is planning to cover the poles with some kind of covering (leaves, thick moss) that will shed rain and wind. If you put the poles side-by-side , you would need more poles than you really need.
    Again, just guessing if it was me...
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I thought it was odd how he broke down on day 3!
    How funny was that! LOL. I am just getting though these and so far I am NOT that impressed. They way he was carrying on you would have thought he had already been out there for months! He just strikes me as being a little on the inept side. He certainly does not appear to be mentally prepared for this trip.

The way he was hacking at those bushes you would have thought he was using a dull spoon to chop with..

Sorry about all the ragging on the poor guy. Mom DID tell me if I cant say something nice.....

Anyway, on to day 4...

SC

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Another good one

I was looking up "alone in the wild" and found the documentary called "Alone in the Wilderness". I remember seeing this on the discovery channel or something and thought it was just wonderful! It is worth watching if you can find it. I just "found it" and am halfway though watching it again. Great story!

Stormcrow

Here is a PDF of his journal
    Last edited by stormcrow; 07-29-2009 at 17:27. Reason: added link

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I was looking up "alone in the wild" and found the documentary called "Alone in the Wilderness". I remember seeing this on the discovery channel or something and thought it was just wonderful! It is worth watching if you can find it. I just "found it" and am halfway though watching it again. Great story!

Stormcrow
    yea, I watch that a while back but I remember Alaska being unbelievably beautiful and **** Proenneke's cabin building was so inspiring.
    This joker Ed on NG isn't able to lick ****'s boots!!
    highly recommend "Alone in the Wilderness"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast