Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    First let me say that my best (coldest) night's sleep was with a nx-250 and an incubator 0 deg down to -5f. I know the nx-250 is great for the cold. I've since sold that one and recently picked up a camo nx-250, which is what I always wanted, but had to wait for a good deal on one. After laying in every hammock imaginable, and I mean every one, I know I like the Clark regardless of it's drawbacks, which I won't go into.

I'm curious about Clark's claim that you don't need any bottom insulation until 32 degrees. I've spent plenty of nights in hammocks with socks off some kind and have never seen those temps without some kind of pad or quilt. What are your experiences. As I'm writing this I'm laying in my nx and it's 57 degrees in Chicago. In comfy but couldn't see going down another 24 degrees.

I know better, but just want to hear some opinions :-)
    Last edited by barchetta; 08-07-2014 at 22:03.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think that claim is a far stretch, maybe if you wore winter clothes to bed. I stuff extra clothing into the pockets all the time, and it always stays at the bottom not the sides, because they are so huge. But I really like the pockets, very handy. To keep warm I use the Big Agnes 15° Encampment and Q-core pad, with that I can go down to 20°. This fall I plan on getting the Z-liner that velcro's all the way around, not the one in 6 pieces. That ought to get me down to around 0° I hope. I fell asleep in it once without any blankets, quilts, or pads, but it was hot. And another time my pad went flat in the middle of the night, and I definitely felt the cold, it was high 40's low 50's. Big Agnes was very good about replacing it, kudos to them!!

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Gonna second gogrillz. I have the tx-150 and that is no where getting down to 32*. I sleep cold and have the velcro z-liner, which is good into the 30's maybe if you are otherwise properly equipped. The nice thing about the z-liner is that it velcros around and no screwing around with suspension and it makes a nice tight seal.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    As a cold sleeper, I need extra insulation besides the pockets at temperatures below 10 degree celsius. At 0 celsius (32f) I stay toasty using a snugpak underblanket and empty pockets and am able to push it to -5C if I must.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Im about 60 miles north of you on IL/WI border. Ive slept in mine in upper 40s with and without full Z liner. With it, I was toasty, almost hot. Without, I was very comfortable. This was also a windy and rainy upper 40s...which usually feels colder IMO. Plus, I slept in just a T shirt and shorts.
    I could see the 32 as realistic.....I wouldn't do it though....that's why I got the liner.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by kllrbee View Post
    Im about 60 miles north of you on IL/WI border. Ive slept in mine in upper 40s with and without full Z liner. With it, I was toasty, almost hot. Without, I was very comfortable. This was also a windy and rainy upper 40s...which usually feels colder IMO. Plus, I slept in just a T shirt and shorts.
    I could see the 32 as realistic.....I wouldn't do it though....that's why I got the liner.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info :-)

• + New Posts