Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas

Hello from northern Canada

I just found this place by accident and I didn't even know that hammock were this popular. Looks like a great place to learn. After returning from a recent canoe trip I was searching for sleeping options while camping with a bad back problem and this is where I ended up. Up until 12 years ago my wife and I were avid canoe campers until my back problems started and sleeping on the ground was not an option, the camping stopped. I tried all kinds of stuff to help relieve the pain but nothing worked. Sleeping on anything flat that remotely arches my lower back causes me pain when sleeping. I have spondilithiosis of my L4. I have learned to deal with it in my everyday life but wanted to try a family canoe trip again with my kids. The trip was awesome but the sleeping was a disaster for me. When I got home I did a search on the internet and it seems that the hammock was the answer for many with bad backs. I did some research and yesterday I ordered a hennesy hammock explorer deluxe zip. Hopefully it will help but if not my 14 year old son will gladly take it.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Same story here. Big camper/ backpacker in my youth but , a bad car accident put an end to that. I fractured / compressed a vertebrae in my lower back. I was done sleeping on the ground and done camping....that is until I found the nirvana of the hammock world. Once I got the lay of my hammock tuned in it is more comfortable than my mattress. I now in fact sleep in my hammock at the house any time I can especially when I have back pain. The key for me was learning that you have to lay asymmetrically in the hammock. Once I got that nothing but comfort and good sleeping. I'm now back backpacking for a couple of nights at a time. Through the folks here and at backpacking light my rig for those trips is right about at 22 lbs fully loaded. I hope that hammocks get you back out there like they did me. You are definitely in the right spot to find out with a whole bunch of helpful people to help you find the answers.
    Last edited by gnarus8429; 08-08-2014 at 11:20.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome from SW Ontario. Many people with bad backs report that hammocks have helped them so I hope it is the same for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Big canoe camper type here. Hanging so totally changed the experience. Off the ground, stand up to pack, great sleep, dry all the time, and I can see what is around me. I will not go back to tent for sure. Welcome to the forum.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to learning all about this hammock stuff. Feels good to be buying some new camping gear. I have been fully outfitted for a lot of years now and haven't bought anything, especially since I haven't been out for so long, so I'm looking forward to getting my hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Welcome from the Left Coast! Formerly a prairie dweller.

Gosh, you are up there. We used to do a lot of canoeing up near Pinehouse Lk when I was younger. Still nowhere else I've found so beautiful as northern Saskatchewan, at least for canoeing anyways.

Hopefully the hanging works and gets you back into the overnight trips without the pain, or at least the minimal amount.
    Brady

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly, I have a bad back also and find the most comfortable of all my hammocks is the warbonnet ridge runner. I use it 80% of the time.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL/AH Original
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex w/SS
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Welcome! :-)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    MY story is pretty much the same thing. I tried everything, just could not stand the pain, travel of any kind became one huge pain. Even if we stayed in a hotel, I would end up sleeping in a corner on the floor so I could keep my back straight.

I did find my Chiropractor could give me relief, however, she could not travel with us. I finally started with a hammock, a ENO double nest, from there I graduated into serious hammocks.

We live part of the year in Northern B.C., just a bit north of FSJ. I am sure where you are it is the same, you never know what the weather is going to do, so one must be prepared for anything.

Welcome to Hammock Forums, you will learn lots of things to make your Hangs fun and easy. Just be aware that many of us become addicted to buying hammock gear. There is also the problem of the DIY bug, very contagious. I have more than one thread injector, to make my gear, I know many other members who have several thread injectors also. Oh, and the stash of fabric to whip up some DIY project. I know I am way over the line, I am thinking the Argon fabric would make a great wedding gown for my unmarried daughter, I am looking for the Argon in white, just in case she might decide to marry her long time fellow. LOL Such is the life of a gear addict.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    That's what I'm worried about. I have always been a gear freak and a DIY guy. When I get into something new I jump in with both feet. My wife won't be happy with me. Lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast