WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Fastest Tarp setup methods for emergencies TIPS AND TRICKS

Hey guys, as always me again trying to increase speed and decrease weight. Anyhow, on the tarp i use bowline turned into larks head on the tarp drings and i never remove it, i only run the line through my stake and then tie a taut line on the line running from the tarp voila. When im done i just remove the stake from the line, wrap the line around my hand forming a loop with the line, then wrap a few inches of line around the loop and stash it in my dring on the tarp itself. So the line never leaves the tarp. When i take out my tarp, to unroll the i just pull it from the dring and unwrap it abit and gravity unwinds it. I use a bowline/lark combo on all my drings, and taut lines on the way back.

I was wondering if you guys employ any kind of similar time saving techniques, perhaps one i have not seen yet. If so let me know, trying to be fast with setup.

On a side note, i think if i had groves on my tarp bag, like groves for bullets on those old wild west films where they where the bullets on their belt, i would not even have to remove the line from the stakes, making setup even faster during key times. Anyway, let me know any shortcuts it you guys know any, thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I just got back from a week in the rain and made a few mods to my setup to help with the speed as a result of what I learned. Generally they sound similar to your's with the exception of abandoning the D-Rings for figure 9s. Here's what I did:

* I added a ridgeline to the tarp (running through the end tabs) and replaced the D-rings with figure 9s
    * The tarp ends are also held to the ridgeline with short lines and prussik knots so the tarp can be repositioned or tightened later (thanks Grizz for the suggestion)
    * The side lines (2 on each side) are a continuous cord from one tab to the other on the same side - this allows me to either stake it with a single stake (forming a triangle), or 2 (forming a square)
    * for storage,
    - while it is still hanging the side tabs are brought together
    - the side lines are then wound up (like what you described) as if they were a single tab with a doubled line
    - I unhook one side of the ridgeline and fold the tarp from this end while gathering the sides (like I had a snakeskin - my next mod) - I leave the ridgeline out however
    - when I get to the other end, I wind up the ridgeline (similar to side lines) and insert everything into the bag
    - the end result is sort of like a Bishop's sac where the initial ridgeline end is at the bag openning so it can be quickly wrapped around a tree before the rest of the tarp is pulled out of the bag and then as I move to the other tree, the tarp comes out of the bag - the sides fall out as the tarp is hung and the side lines can quickly be secured to something or I grab some twigs to use for stakes
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    IM, I employ the same mothod you do for storing my guylines, except I don't slip the finished package in my D-rings. To tie my guylines to my tarp, I use a simple clove hitch. IMO, the best way to reduce your setup time is to be familiar with you gear and practice setting it up. However, your post does beg the question: Why the hurry? Personally, I get outdoors to escape the rush-and-hurry world I live in. It doesn't really matter how fast you set up your tarp, no one's in a race out there. Just hang and enjoy.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have a small plastic clip, sorta like a hook, I suppose, tied to one end of my ridgeline. I then run it through the ridgeline loops, and make an electricians knot on with the rest of the line. When I need to set up in a hurry, I simply pull out the tarp, run the line with the hook around one tree, snap out the electricians knot, and tie the other end. I then tighten the tarp across it with prussiks (already on the line). then its just a matter of staking out. All in all, it takes less than a minute to set the ridgeline, and maybe another minute or so for the tie outs.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    IM, I employ the same mothod you do for storing my guylines, except I don't slip the finished package in my D-rings. To tie my guylines to my tarp, I use a simple clove hitch. IMO, the best way to reduce your setup time is to be familiar with you gear and practice setting it up. However, your post does beg the question: Why the hurry? Personally, I get outdoors to escape the rush-and-hurry world I live in. It doesn't really matter how fast you set up your tarp, no one's in a race out there. Just hang and enjoy.
    In case of emergency like monsoon or similar heavy rain, perhaps approaching blizzard, etc.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Barry few points:

1. If u ever get pics of the setupbplease post

2. How did you remove the drings? I would assume u would have to cut them mine are sowed in my maccat.

Images
    I still mostly use the largest size Snake Skins with my JRB 11x10 tarp. I'm not sure if it is really all that much more handy than just having it in a stuff sack would be. But it does work pretty good. I like being able to tie both ends to the trees before pulling the tarp out of the skins a little at a time in windy weather, getting one end loosely staked or tied to a branch the other end is still partially restrained in the skins.

I think this system ( or really all systems) works even better with relatively stiff and tangle resistant line like what Speer sells. These days I often don't even bother rolling the tarp up before putting it in the skins. With the tarp un-staked and hanging loosely, and the lines hanging loosely, I just start pulling the skins from one end. Most of the lines automatically go right in the skins as I pull them over the tarp. It is only at the last stage, as the skins meet in the middle, that I have to sort of roll things up to finish getting the tarp and middle lines in the skins. I think there is a video some where- by Shug? - showing this method. Any way, skins work pretty good with a tarp, especially when it is windy. But I'm sure there are other equally good methods using just a stuff sack.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    In case of emergency like monsoon or similar heavy rain, perhaps approaching blizzard, etc.
    Then your best bet is to practice, practice, practice. Shortcuts will only carry you so far, being adept at setting up your tarp is what you need. That and watch the weather while you're hiking.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Then your best bet is to practice, practice, practice. Shortcuts will only carry you so far, being adept at setting up your tarp is what you need. That and watch the weather while you're hiking.
    lol yea true.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    How did you remove the drings? I would assume u would have to cut them mine are sowed in my maccat.
    Yep, just cut them and remove if you want rid of them. Personally, I still have the D-rings on mine, but am thinking of removing them as well. None of my other tarps have D-rings on them, and I don't see a true advantage to having them there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast