Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty

Warbonnet superfly VS Kelty noahs 12

Okay guys, I recently picked up my first hammock... A Hammeck Netty witch so far is a awesome product.... So Now I am looking into tarps... My primary use will be 3 season, canoe/fishing trips. I don't really see myself doing any winter camping, But I like the idea of having a large tarp, and weight is not a huge issue(I was lugging around a 12lbs tent before). But I am pretty positive that I want a larger size tarp, the weather in the Adirondacks can be crazy, and I like the opportunity to have a little extra space. So I was initially drawn to the warbonnet superfly(actually there hammock also, But I wanted to give some up and coming guys a chance !) I know everyone loves this tarp, and I have no doubt its excellent quality.... But for some reason I keep looking at the kelty noahs 12. I can pick it up for 69.82 with free 2 day shipping, and it comes with aluminum stakes... I Usually tend to buy the best quality that I can, But the kelty is about 50 percent cheaper and I will only be using this tarp maybe 10-20 days a year.... What's your thoughts ?!?!?!
    Last edited by sjjbib; 08-09-2014 at 20:27.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Keep in mind superfly comes with nothing but the tarp. You will need stakes and guylines. With this said, a superfly is in my pack. It's a small reasonably light package for so much coverage. Like the different setup options on the superfly. I also have kelty gear and it is basically heavy mid grade gear. My kelty stuff is mainly for car camping. I have a large two room kelty tent that's over 6 years old. I've had to replace some plastic hooks and some of the stitching tore loose, but it's still weather proof. Also have a kelty carport that's a great (but heavy) shade structure, but comes in handy when I sleep in my SUV.

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    For what its worth, I really love the 12' ridgeline on the Noah's 12. Not a big fan of the weight and the stuff sack is not user-friendly, but for the price, there are endless possibilities in setup. I've been through torrential downpours with my 12 and it has never leaked a drop.
    That being said, I can't wait to reduce my load by going with a tadpole or edge. But for inclement weather or cold outings, the Noah's 12 has served me well.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would try to talk Brian into making me a superfly with a 12' ridgeline.
    If weight is not an issue, the Noah's 12 is a great entry tarp for the money. Just my $0.02.
    Best of luck and hyoh!

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    You said you want a large tarp, well I tried a Kelty 16 first before the Superfly and now the Kelty is in the "loner stuff box" and the Superfly is in my pack. But that's just my personal choice.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Kelty Noah 12 is a good tarp for the money, IMHO. Not the lightest, true, but big, flexible, and it should last awhile. I borrowed a heavily used one for a bit last summer, worked great.. That said, my DIY tarp is basically a Superfly clone.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Can't say anything about the Kelty as I never had the opportunity to use one, but as a hiker and (push) biker, the savings in weight and volume are worth $60. So much so, that I mostly take an even smaller tarp like the Mamajamba or the Edge.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If weight and pack size are a non issue, I personally would get the Kelty 12. I have one and like it fine for what I use it for. Mine is primarily used as a cover for my eating area when car camping and is set up for shade. I have used it over my hammock but found it to be a bit large for that purpose. Over my hammock I use a BCUSA 10x10 with Griz Beaks.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Thanks for all the reply's..... Plenty of valid points. I guess I still need to put more thought into it. I think the kelty will do what I need it too, And I feel like by the time I buy everything for the superfly and pay for the shipping, It will be close to a extra 100 bucks !

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    On topic but also off, how big dimension wise is the superfly? I didn't think it was 12x12 like the kelty but I could be wrong.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    For canoe tripping I would take two tarps. One tarp sized right for your hammock and another for a dining/lounging fly. That's where the Kelty is hard to beat. The square shape gives you endless configuration options.
    I canoe trip in the BWCA of Minnesota and often the 'hanging' trees are not very close to the gathering area. A separate tarp makes camp much more comfortable.
    If you want to start with just one - I would get the Kelty. Then, if you want to add another you can get a tarp that just covers your hammock.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast