Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I wouldn't EVEN consider carrying a monster like that myself. Last night, I was going through my goodies and deciding what is going with me on my AT section hike and what isn't. My headlamp is, without a doubt, an absolute must-have. If I'm car camping or staying at a commercial campground, I like to have a 2 AA cell Maglite with me that has several wraps of duct tape around it so I always have duct tape with me. As much as I hated to do it, it's staying behind. I'll have to find another place for duct tape. My trekking poles is what I'm thinking. Anyway, big heavy Maglite=BAD . Little light headlamp=GOOD . End of story.
    That has me thinking of when I took my 2AA mini maglite to Philmont, NM in high school for Boy Scouts. It seemed like the logical thing to bring. Served me well. Funny how something that seemed great then I wouldn't want with me know. I also remember my group making fun of someone for using "ski poles". I vividly remember saying that I would never use those. I still say I don't, I use trekking poles.

If only I knew of hammocks then.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Amen, it would have made 4 years in the Marines a LOT more comfortable.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    That has me thinking of when I took my 2AA mini maglite to Philmont, NM in high school for Boy Scouts. It seemed like the logical thing to bring. Served me well. Funny how something that seemed great then I wouldn't want with me know. I also remember my group making fun of someone for using "ski poles". I vividly remember saying that I would never use those. I still say I don't, I use trekking poles.

I took a crew there 3 years ago and some of my scouts are going there in June. But I don't think they will allow hammocks at Philmont, they'll cite "Bears" as being the reason and they're real strict on their Bear policies. I'd love to hammock camp there if they'd let you.

I still get funny comments like "Where's the snow?" and such using Trekking Poles here in the deep south. You kinda want to say "Here's your sign!", if you know what I mean.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I wouldn't EVEN consider carrying a monster like that myself. Last night, I was going through my goodies and deciding what is going with me on my AT section hike and what isn't. My headlamp is, without a doubt, an absolute must-have. If I'm car camping or staying at a commercial campground, I like to have a 2 AA cell Maglite with me that has several wraps of duct tape around it so I always have duct tape with me. As much as I hated to do it, it's staying behind. I'll have to find another place for duct tape. My trekking poles is what I'm thinking. Anyway, big heavy Maglite=BAD . Little light headlamp=GOOD . End of story.
    I'd skip on putting your duct tape on your poles. That's extra weight your arms have to move. Two good options are to cut a pencil in half and wrap it around. Another is to cut in half a popsickle stick. That's what I do and it works great.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Hammocking at Philmont would have been an interesting exercise
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I have a six ounce plactic juice bottle that I keep my stove alcohol in. I wrap duct tape around the bottle.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Hammocking Philmont would be an interesting thing. As I rememeber it the trek that I did had trees at most campsites. They really look badly on stealth camping so you would have to have ground options. Bugs weren't an issue though.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I'd skip on putting your duct tape on your poles. That's extra weight your arms have to move. Two good options are to cut a pencil in half and wrap it around. Another is to cut in half a popsickle stick. That's what I do and it works great.
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. It's popsicle time around my place for my son, so that sounds like a plan.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. It's popsicle time around my place for my son, so that sounds like a plan.
    I have the duct tape on mine and can't tell a difference, but go with what works for you.

I am thinking about putting measurement marks on mine. Maybe put a 12" ruler with marks every 1/4". That will help me if I have to make any adjustments or redo anything on my hammock. For some reason I can notice a big difference a couple inches in either direction. Especailly on the ridgeline.

Images
    For those "inquiring minds" that want to know, I carry a three cell rechargeable maglite. I love the idea of the six cell, but thats like swinging a telephone pole. The three cell works well for me. BTW, I put my duct tape on a small pill bottle that has some small things in it. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123