Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Burrells Ford River Hang Aug. 8-10, 2014

I'll get this trip report started.
    My hubby and I decided to have a little weekend getaway near where this hang was going to be. We hiked in on Saturday to spend the day with everyone. I loaded up my pack, more like for an overnight than a daypack! I wanted to give my new pack a good test and my body one as well. I want to start hiking more and this 1.5 miles hike in and out let me know I REALLY need some more conditioning and to get in shape. Yes, round is a shape, but I'd rather be less round.
    We walked for an hour and finally I spotted some tarps, recognizing Cali's gear. However, no one was home. I made myself at home, set up my tarp and hammock as the forecast was iffy and Pat and I made ourselves comfy by the river. We felt a little like Goldilocks, but fortunately we weren't surprised by any bears. About an hour later, Tacoma and his son, Iron Gator arrived, having just hiked in. A few minutes later, Cali and Hermit, along with Dedicated Hanger and his wife, Mrs. DH, returned from their hike to Ellicot Rock. Cali showed me where the Dedicated Hangers were camped as they had a nice campsite totally invisible from the trail! Tacoma and Gator got set up and we all enjoyed a nice lunch of BBQ and ham sandwiches...Mmmm!
    An early afternoon downpour sent us all scampering for shelter. Some took the opportunity for a siesta. Pat and I enjoyed the company of the Dedicated Hangers under their sitting area tarp while sipping hot tea. After the rain passed, more hangers arrived. SC864, his daughter and little pup had hiked in through the rain. Baby, a Chihuahua, rode in the backpack!
    After a bit of fellowship and gear talk, our bellies began to growl. Stoves boiled water and heated various dishes, most of which were shared and sampled by each of us. The Friday night crew had been unable to get a fire going with all the wood being soaked from the rain. Tacoma, however, was determined to conquer the elements and build a fire for the group. He worked faithfully and soon we saw smoke rising! It was beginning to head towards evening and Pat and I wanted to be off the trail by dark. We said our goodbyes and exchanged hugs until next time. As we made our way up the trail, we waved to the group settled around the campfire.
    (I sent a PM to Wallyrob and 2ply, since they had not arrived at camp after indicating they were planning to attend. Wallyrob and his two sons did not find the campsite and decided to camp on the sandy beach site before the group site. They stayed Friday night and hiked out Saturday. I think we may have spotted them near the river when we were hiking in.
    2ply ended up having the grandchildren for the weekend, but asked about everyone and the hang.)
    uploadfromtaptalk1407707475214.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707273501.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707286341.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707296706.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707304189.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707310741.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707317241.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707324228.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707331033.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707337814.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707344866.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707351632.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707362466.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707368769.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407707375112.jpg
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for the report and great pictures, Junebugdawn. Way to go, Tacoma,, on the fire!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great write-up JBD.
    It sounds like you got out in time.
    I worried about those folks last night.
    We had record flash flooding here in Greenville and I'm sure they got plenty of water there.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    We got some rain last night and early this morning at the cabin, but it was relatively light. I hope they faired well since they were only about 10 miles from us. I heard Greenville got hit hard.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Thanks for the report Junebugdawn if have been concerned about you guys, we had bad flooding over in Greenville and was hoping you all stayed safe!

Great report!
    Adahy

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&amp;bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps
    Hate I missed it... looks like a good time was had by all!
    Author of 4 books of SC ghostlore under Tally Johnson- available on amazon- buy 'em all and I will sign them at a hang! I do ghost stories too! PM or Facebook me for rates outside Carolinas!

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Here is our report.
    Left Raleigh, NC with my son (Iron Gator) on Friday afternoon and had already made hotel reservations in Salisbury (close enough to half way point). Upon arrival, ate, grabbed a few geocaches in Salisbury then went to sleep. Next headed out and hit a little rain in Charlotte and finally arrived at Burrells Ford Trailhead on Saturday at 11:45AM. (355 miles). Arrived at the camping area and met up with Junebugdawn and her husband. Talked for a bit then went to look for some great trees, while setting up Cali, Dedicated Hanger, and his wife came back from there hike to Ellicott Rock. Once our hammocks were set up, we had some barbecue with the group (great stuff), talked a bit, then the rain started coming in. Most went to their hammock and my son and I went hiking to Ellicott Rock. Hiked in the rain for about 30 minutes, there was no trail just water. Finally made it to Ellicott Rock (the sun was out by then). If you did not know where this rock was it would be hard to find. I did have some coordinates for a geocache in that area which were about 110 feet off. Grabbed a few geocaches then went back to camp (no rain on the way back). Arrived back at camp and talked for a bit. I asked about making a fire and was told they could not make one last night cause of the moisture. So I figured I would give my fire making skills (which were no existent to this point) a try. FINALLY, FINALLY got a fire going where we spend the rest of the night around it. Had great conversations around the fire then headed off to sleep preparing for the long ride home. Woke up Sunday morning and was packed by 7AM, talked to
    Cali for a bit then headed out. Grabbed a geocache at the trailhead then headed back to Raleigh, NC, and made it home by 3PM. Thanks for a great time all, and sorry for names I forgot to mention, but you are in our minds.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Way to go, Tacoma,, on the fire!
    You can have that job
    Straight out of Clayton.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    We didn't get the flooding here in Simpsonville that Greenville got, but I was really concerned that you all were flooded out. I'm gad that you were safe. I would have loved to join you, but I had family in town and I got to make a new Caldera Clone.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Check this out. It was actually drier weather at the hang, then here at home. I went to Burells Ford to get away from the heavy rain.
    Straight out of Clayton.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast