Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Bottom insulation help needed!

Hey members I need your help.

I just returned from a 4 day backpack trip with my new kit and was not excited about the results. I am an experienced ground dweller with all the gear necessary for tarping/tenting but it seems maybe not for hanging. I was hoping to get by with pads and my 15 degree bag as a top quilt. The down bag seems okay for now but the bottom is my concern.

I tested my hammock for two nights in the backyard using a Neo Air and a CCF pad. Temperatures were warm and the Neo Air seemed to be a good choice. Well out on the trail for 3 nights it is obvious to me the Neo Air has to go. With it pressured firm I receive the insulation but the comfort was nonexistent and i could not get the right fit. Depressurized the comfort improved but I could feel cold spots on my back and the night temps were in the 50's. No way will this work in the Spring or Fall!

So my dilemma is, how to get geared up for fall without purchasing a bottom quilt just yet. I know I will eventually get there but right now the budget won't allow it.

I am 6'4" and the Neo Air is a large model, I am wondering if it is too large? Will a shorter air pad be better or a CCF trimmed to fit the hammock sideways be best?

Also I have read on the forum about other foam products available for under insulation. What would be suggested and what thickness for New England three season weather? I would anticipate using it to around 30 degrees.

All recommendation appreciated.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Gossamer Gear sells a pad for hammocks, which is wider (39") than normal CCF pads and only costs $39 plus shipping. See it at http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thi...tion-pads.html.

However, the preferred option for most people seems to be the underquilt. If you are not too concerned about weight or bulk, you could go with a synthetic one, for example, the ones offererd by AHE at http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c3/KAQ.html. These quilts are less expensive, at around $150 for a full-length UQ, and $100 for a partial-length.

And for when you decide to drop the big bucks on a down quilt, here's an up-and-coming vendor that produces high-quality wares: http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com/

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I tried pads for a bit then gave up on them (OK, maybe it was 2x).
    The 'blue' non-inflatable pads seem to work for some. They sometimes use an SPE to make wings where your shoulders go (segmented pad extender, I believe).
    Of course, then your spending more money on something that isn't an UQ, so you have to decide when to stop that.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Like the above posters said, an spe makes a pad much better but you end up spending more money ultimately on a pad. If I had to use a pad id use the Wal-Mart blue ccf pad and just cut it like you mentioned. But if I was going quilt id go AHE because its the cheapest quilt you can buy.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I'd try a cheap CCF cut to fit a little better than the full NeoAir (77"?) would fit.

As you may be aware, those of us who use 3/4 length UQs often cut a small piece of CCF for the foot box of our TQs to keep the bottom of our feet warm. You might try cutting your CCF pad in a similar arrangement: a 3/4 piece that covers neck to calves (easier to deal with, might stay in place better because it's not fighting the shape of your hammock), and another small piece in your sleeping bag in the foot box. The two-piece arrangement may make it all easier to deal with in general and it'll give you a sit pad for the campfire (put it in your sleeping bag before you go to sleep). If it turns out that you hate the idea/feeling of a piece of CCF in your foot box, it may be a good indication that you would prefer a full-length UQ when the time comes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have begun trimming and older CCF pad I have and will buy a Wally World or similar pad for further experimentation before my next multi night trip.

The synthetic UQ from Arrow Head look great and priced right, I need to study the weight comparisons more between down and synthetic and read more in the vendor forum. On a volume basis for packing how well does the synthetic UQ compress v.s. down on a comparative 20 degree quilt? The weight trade off may be acceptable as I have had the opportunity to sleep in a wet down bag and know the benefits of synthetic.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody_NH View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have begun trimming and older CCF pad I have and will buy a Wally World or similar pad for further experimentation before my next multi night trip.

The synthetic UQ from Arrow Head look great and priced right, I need to study the weight comparisons more between down and synthetic and read more in the vendor forum. On a volume basis for packing how well does the synthetic UQ compress v.s. down on a comparative 20 degree quilt? The weight trade off may be acceptable as I have had the opportunity to sleep in a wet down bag and know the benefits of synthetic.
    Down will always compress much better and pack size is a thing then id say og down but synthetic is still way smaller than a normal sleeping bad or anything like that. But again if you're using a pad it will be twice as bulky as either one. I choose synthetic because I dont want ro have to worry as much about getting it wet and its a bit cheaper! But again its all up to you
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    When I started I had the same issues with my under pad. I ditched it and tried a simple reflective tarp from Walmart. The weight isn't too bad, it packs super small, and I have never hold a cold night when I use it. I trimmed the corners so it fit in my hammock a little better. I found one similar at rei here: http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...53280440200%7C

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Check out the UGQ waterproof down options. UGQ has a sale on now that may save you $. They aren't cheap but top quality throughout, and great people too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well I think I solved my bottom insulation problem. My lovely wife has extended me an early Christmas gift!
    I just hit the "BUY" button for a UGQ 20 deg Zeppelin. Now the anxious wait begins as I have a backpack trip scheduled for the week of September 1st and hope to receive it before then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast