Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Received my Stingerz, very impressed, quick question

I received my order from Dutch very quickly and was able to mess around with the Stingerz a little bit. I'm very happy with them so far. I haven't hung my tarp yet, but I'm sure they will be awesome. I found some time to get my first couple locked brummels made for one side of my tarp's suspension. If the attachment worked, there's a picture of them. How do they look? The single end brummel was a a little tricky with the tiny 1.75 Zing-it but I'm pleased with the results.

I remember reading that 30' was a good length for ridge lines. I'm making a non continuous RL and I wanted to make sure my length was alright before I make the next one. I have a Warbonnet Superfly. The ridge line that I finished is 12' with a Stingerz spliced on one end and another spliced loop on the other. I can't imagine needing more but maybe I'm missing something, I'm still very new to this, what do you think? This could probably go into the tarp section but I figure you guys could answer it just as well here and I get to say how excited I am about the Stingerz here.

Thanks.

image.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Looks good. If you splice the fixed eye first and then splice on the Stingerz, you won't need to use the "one ended" method to make the locked brummel. The line can easily be opened enough to pass the finished eye through it.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Hahaha, well at least I learned how to do a single end splice. Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Seems fine, looks good. I use the Stingerz as well and I'm sure you'll love them.

On a side note, for the Superfly, it's recommended by Warbonnet to use two separate lines for the ridge line in case you weren't aware of that. That said, there are a ton of folks doing it other ways successfully, I just use the WB method for mine. Ymmv
    Brady

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to hanging the tarp once I get the rest of the guy/ridge lines finished.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I am planning on using two separate ridgelines as shown and recommend by Warbonnet, like you suggest. I do like the idea of a continuous but I think I'll mess with one of those on the next tarp I get.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have the edge and spliced the Stingerz on two 12ft Zing-it lines just like yours. However, I didn't loop the other end, but buried the line for a clean end. I leave the the Stingerz clipped on the D-Ring, run the line around the tree and back to the Stingerz hook, then anchor it on the Singerz Anvil. Do the same thing on the other end. Adjust so it is centered between the tree's and done. As they say, easy peasy! It also gives the perfect V for the Hammock Straps to slide through. Between Brandons Video and Dutches Video - I have never done anything different. Maybe in time, but why change what works so well.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I did not splice my ridgeline into the Stingerz but instead made both ridglines with a loop in one end. I then use the loop to fix it to the tarp directly. Then connect to the Stingerz as directed. There are two advantages to this method:

1. You will have a "V" that provides a much bigger opening. With the line spliced onto the Stingerz, you'll loose a couple of centimeters on each side, which increases the rub between tarp ridgeline and hammock suspension in some hangs (particularly when the trees are spaced further apart, since the suspension then crosses the tarp ridgeline).

2. If you run out of line, you can detach it, pass it around the tree, feed it through the loop (same concept as with tree huggers) and have only a single line running back to the Stinger. This will increase your length considerably without added hardware or line length.

I just did that on a camping trip here in Germany where campsites only have few trees, if any, and where you have to make do with what you find. This often means trees spaced far apart. Worked like a charm.

Hope my explanation is understandable.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    /me claps

That's a great way to do it. I like that idea so much I might need to buy another stinger and split my CRL.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I just took some pictures to illustrate:

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    That's a good way to do it as well! I'll see how this first version goes and then if I'm thinking I'll need more line at any point maybe I switch to that one. I'm in Colorado and where I'll be camping there are plenty of trees. I do like the versatility of that though. Thanks.

• + New Posts