Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge

Ripstop Fraying?

When I cut and sew ripstop, the edges where I made my cut fray down to the next large thread. Is there a special cutting technique I should be using to avoid this? I've started using a roll hem to hide the fraying fabric - should I be worried about the fabric fraying with a roll hem (even though I can't see it)? Thanks...

Also, if it matters, I've only used Argon so far. Is nylon/hyper D any different?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    All nylons will be similar. Cut with a very sharp blade....some use a roller knife, I prefer an Xacto knife...blades are much cheaper to replace....and you should replace if frequently, a sharp blade will pull on the fabric less/cut more. Then roll the hem to finish the cut. It won't fray once its contained in the hem and it won't come apart in the hem.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The other option is to heat seal the edge. A Candle is better and more controlled than a lighter. Just keep in mind your working with something that is very flammable and melts quickly. Even heat sealed you will still want to roll the hem though as the heat sealing on the edge will only stabilize the threads not permanently fix them in place...with a little effort you can still make the fabric fray.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    All nylons will be similar. Cut with a very sharp blade....some use a roller knife, I prefer an Xacto knife...blades are much cheaper to replace....and you should replace if frequently, a sharp blade will pull on the fabric less/cut more. Then roll the hem to finish the cut. It won't fray once its contained in the hem and it won't come apart in the hem.
    I'll echo pgibson - if you're performing a rolled hem, you don't need to worry about it fraying. Sometimes you'll find that the rolled hem is difficult to perform if the fraying is too much, so the methods pgibson suggested are all great. We have a few pairs of razor edge sheers that are great. Another option that helps a lot is the zig-zag fabric sheers, but that adds A LOT of time to cutting.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Alternately, you can cut with a hot knife or soldering iron. Fray no more.....

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    Another option that helps a lot is the zig-zag fabric sheers, but that adds A LOT of time to cutting.
    Zig Zag shears Better known as Pinking Shears work by creating a controlled fray. The little triangle tips fray out really fast and provide longer threads to help snarl the longer fraying thread. The shears are heavy, bulky and very finicky. A dull section on the blade can render the whole shear more trouble than it's worth. Having them sharpened and adjusted can be expensive and the shears themselves are very pricey. Cheap pinking shears are worse than throw aways because they will actually hamper the project before they become completely unusable. If you have them they can be worth using. If you don't have them, then I would say don't bother getting them unless you know exactly why you want them. For advanced sewing they can make a big difference and have definite uses. For making gear, IMO, not so much. They make a mess with little thread pieces going all over. Better use an extremely sharp set of shears as noted above or a wheel cutter/knife/hot cutter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    Alternately, you can cut with a hot knife or soldering iron. Fray no more.....
    This is what I do. It takes longer to cut, but it's time well spent. No more frayed messy edges on any fabric: what I'm using at the moment or my fabric stash. Also, I found an old steel desk/table at a yard sale for $10. It is 5' long by 30" wide with a formica ? top: makes a great cutting table. My soldering iron doesn't burn it.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Great tips from some very reputable sources. Thanks, all.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I take a bic lighter and run it down the side of the fabric just enough to burn off any frayed threads then I do my rolled hem.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts