Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    There's a certain aesthetic to camo. Blending in makes it feel like less of an intrusion on nature. As an extreme example, you see very little outdoor clothing that's bright pink. Just doesn't fit the environment.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    That is exactly why it took me so long to get a tarp. I hated the colors most people sold them in. I would have bought a camo one if I had found one light enough and big enough. It finally came down to a black or green one, I went with black cuz it matches my hammock. I figure a black tarp hung under the shadows of green trees will help it blend it, not too many worries at night either!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Okay, here's the setup...My son, Ethan, his best friend, Christopher, and I went to a local park with the following...Green Military OD's, My sons digital ACU camo he uses for bow hunting, my Woodlands camo rain poncho, my Mossy oak bow hunting suit, and my Ghillie suit. We took turns sitting in the car while one of us took 4-5 steps into the woods. After 2 minutes the other 2 would emerge from the car and try to see how fast we could find the camo'd guy. The rules were you couldn't stand behind something big like a tree and you couldn't lay down, just stand. It was overcast, and LIGHTLY misting today.The woods were mostly oak trees, pecan trees, some pine shrubs and a bunch of knee high weeds, typical North Texas forest. Here are our very scientific findings.

My sons friend had his dads Green OD on. He might as well had a sign that said here I am. My son and I found him in 3-4 seconds

My sons ACU digital camo was a LITTLE better, Christopher and I saw Ethan in about 15 seconds

My Woodland poncho did a lot better, it took Ethan and Christopher about 40 seconds to find me.

The Mossy oak stood out, they found me in 10 seconds.

My Ghillie suit did great, in fact they couldn't see me until I moved. It's a Ghillie suit I made, took about 2 weeks and really sore hands to make it. REALLY STINKIN' HOT while you're in it..

Since a Ghillie tarp isn't a reality..yet. I guess Woodlands Camo is the next best thing.
    Sorry I forgot the camera. This was a ton of fun by the way.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    Since a Ghillie tarp isn't a reality..yet. I guess Woodlands Camo is the next best thing.
    Sorry I forgot the camera. This was a ton of fun by the way.
    Of course in a different forest there might be a different best thing, which is why RealTree has a number of different patterns. Also so they can sell you more things.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Of course in a different forest there might be a different best thing, which is why RealTree has a number of different patterns. Also so they can sell you more things.
    Correct, this is based on a typical North Texas forest YMMV.

Hammock
    HH EXP-ASYM CAMO
    Tarp
    HH ASYM CAMO
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There's a certain aesthetic to camo. Blending in makes it feel like less of an intrusion on nature. As an extreme example, you see very little outdoor clothing that's bright pink. Just doesn't fit the environment.
    Well said. I feel the same way and get strange looks when I explain to people that I try to blend in so the view is better for them.

Imagine the spectacular views we try to take in with a bright neon hammock hanging in the middle of it because someone across the valley or on the mountain side is there.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Being a former Marine reservist, They are telling you true about "breaking up" the outline but the closer to the color of the environment the better job the camo does. Otherwise the wouldn't be so many choices of Green color camo for hunting clothes. HH has an intro offer ($69.00) for a 6x9 Camo Asym Hex Fly. May not be cat but the price is right! It weighs 1#7oz
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    Being a former Marine reservist, They are telling you true about "breaking up" the outline but the closer to the color of the environment the better job the camo does. Otherwise the wouldn't be so many choices of Green color camo for hunting clothes. HH has an intro offer ($69.00) for a 6x9 Camo Asym Hex Fly. May not be cat but the price is right! It weighs 1#7oz

I've looked at that tarp, a little too small for me. Need a 10 x 10 camp tarp that doesn't weigh as much as my car

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    At that price, put two together, Lol. Sorry, just thinking out of the box...
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    At that price, put two together, Lol. Sorry, just thinking out of the box...
    I have 2 OES 11x10 coming from Brian, not camo I know......I'm on the hunt for another hammock right now...my head hurts. this ones better than that one at doing this and this ones better than that one at doing that. i need more money. I may grab one of those tarps for nice weather but if I buy the Clark NX200 it won't cover that hammock

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    well most people in the us use camo for hunting (i think) and most hunting seasons are in the fall so it would make more seance to blend into the fall.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast