Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images

camouflage talk

I see a lot of talk about camo tarps as of late and it got me thinking, (uh oh) I was driving to school today and saw how green everything is. (it's been raining a lot the last couple days) It seems to me that a camo tarp, like The Claytor Diamond Fly, would actually stick out in that environment, no? Wouldn't just a green tarp be as good in this case? Seems like the Claytor, and those like it might be better suited the fall season? Any thoughts as I'm about to snag a tarp soon.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A solid color can be much more obvious than a camo pattern. The main reason that camo works in the way that it does is that it helps to break up the outline of an object. When you see an green area notice that you have varying shades of green, shadows and highlights, as well as the color of the the bark, stems, and leaves.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    A solid color can be much more obvious than a camo pattern. The main reason that camo works in the way that it does is that it helps to break up the outline of an object. When you see an green area notice that you have varying shades of green, shadows and highlights, as well as the color of the the bark, stems, and leaves.
    AGREED!! But today it just seemed like EVERYTHING was a bright shade of green, maybe the time of the year? Like I said, I might be wrong, but it seemed like a camo pattern would have almost stood out. My reasoning behind the fall statement was thats when trees are thinning a bit and you can see MORE of the stems and branches, making a camo pattern seem like a good idea then.
    I'm just a bit fasinated by the whole camo thing, I have a couple Ghillie suits for paintball, hmmm, Ghillie suit tarp

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    AGREED!! But today it just seemed like EVERYTHING was a bright shade of green, maybe the time of the year? Like I said, I might be wrong, but it seemed like a camo pattern would have almost stood out. My reasoning behind the fall statement was thats when trees are thinning a bit and you can see MORE of the stems and branches, making a camo pattern seem like a good idea then.
    I'm just a bit fasinated by the whole camo thing, I have a couple Ghillie suits for paintball, hmmm, Ghillie suit tarp:lol:
    Translation, 20lbs tarp. If your curious about a solid color working better have a friend dress in all green or find a green sheet an hold it up, it wont work nearly as well as traditional camo. Headchange4u is right, its more about breaking up a pattern than color. Even a solid black object (like a tarp) on a dark night sticks out more than traditional camo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Translation, 20lbs tarp. If your curious about a solid color working better have a friend dress in all green or find a green sheet an hold it up, it wont work nearly as well as traditional camo. Headchange4u is right, its more about breaking up a pattern than color. Even a solid black object (like a tarp) on a dark night sticks out more than traditional camo.
    Thats one heavy a$s tarp Maybe strips of colored nylon glued to a jrb Cat tarp? I might try that with a chep wally world tarp ust for the heck of it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    Thats one heavy a$s tarp Maybe strips of colored nylon glued to a jrb Cat tarp? I might try that with a chep wally world tarp ust for the heck of it.
    Who is it your trying so hard to hide from What are you trying to gain from a tarp; protection from the elements and/or the ability to blend in?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    don't glue anything to your other tarp....that is sacrilege. Save up and buy the claytor. Or find some camo at the fabric store, walmart had some the last time I looked. But, please dont glue any thing to a beautiful cat tarp, clip it on with a couple of clothes pins or tarp clips...but glue? Camo tarps (heavy ones) were availabe at my local surplus store, so you might check your local surplus outlet store.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    don't glue anything to your other tarp....that is sacrilege. Save up and buy the claytor. Or find some camo at the fabric store, walmart had some the last time I looked. But, please dont glue any thing to a beautiful cat tarp, clip it on with a couple of clothes pins or tarp clips...but glue? Camo tarps (heavy ones) were availabe at my local surplus store, so you might check your local surplus outlet store.
    First I would try it on a cheap tarp, before a OES or something like that. I'm trying to be stealthy and protected the Claytor is not the shape or size I would prefer. The Wally Worlds in my area quit carrying material, plus I cant sew on a button. Price is not the issue, being creative in a stealthy (love that word ,if it is) way is. I've seen some camo tarps but they weigh more than I do, not good for backpacking. I need an 10x12 Real Tree camo tarp, Cat Cut, silnylon..is that too much to ask

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Ditto, go with the claytor. Its nice and light and packs down tight. Just spent a soggy night hungout under one. Had the outside corners staked at the ground. Stayed nice and dry.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Being a former Marine reservist, They are telling you true about "breaking up" the outline but the closer to the color of the environment the better job the camo does. Otherwise the wouldn't be so many choices of Green color camo for hunting clothes. HH has an intro offer ($69.00) for a 6x9 Camo Asym Hex Fly. May not be cat but the price is right! It weighs 1#7oz
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast