Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Columbia SC

I know there are quite a few folks on here from SC and they are quite a lively bunch. I have an opportunity to relocate to the Columbia area from Burke Co., NC. Hard decision. Any hammock/camping/backpacking insights?
    I know I can trust you all to give it to me straight. I will be visiting the city today and checking back here.
    Thanks to you all and moderators please move this to a more correct forum if necessary.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You will love Columbia, SC. There are lots of things to do whether it is hiking and biking or kayaking and the city has lots to offer. I live in Modoc, SC which is about 1 1/2 hours away and I don't know a lot about Columbia, but I would live there in a minute. I like it much better than Augusta, Ga. which is the closest city to me. I know more folks from the Columbia area will chime in. I hope to see you at one of our local hangs. There is one in two weeks at Murrell's Inlet south of Myrtle Beach. You can meet a bunch of the Palmetto State Hangers there.
    You may also want to go on facebook and check out The Palmetto State Hangers site and you will find a bunch of folks from that area there. Good luck and I hope to see you at Murrell's Inlet.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I live in Buncombe County, NC but spend a lot of time in Columbia for my work. I really like the people there and it has a nice laid back charm to it. Since I visit to work I don't have time to travel more than thirty minutes or so for any outdoor recreation - I would love to go for a hike in the evening but options are limited. Its really hot in the summer too and that tends to make me want to stay inside. Its a long way to the mountains but SC has a great state park system and there are good parks throughout the state. Outside of town SC is much less populated than NC and so there is more of an open country feel. There are a lot of great rivers too if you like to kayak etc. I'm really a mountain person so I wouldn't want to live there but it does have a lot going for it and I would certainly place it above Charlotte and probably Atlanta (although I don't know Atlanta well). It is really hot there though.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Welcome to the CORRECT Carolina!

Anywho, we have a large contingency in SC, I am the pres of the Palmetto State Hangers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/PalmettoStateHangers/ ) if youd like to keep up with what we're doing. We usually have a hang or 2 in Sesquicentennial State Park, one in Santee (about 30 min from Cola) and right now, we have one upcoming in Myrtle Beach (then the Santee hang the month after.)

Feel free to check us out and come to any hang we have going on! I know Gresh and Prof (Matt Cox) is near Cola and Im up that way from time to time for...fun...
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Indeed, I'm about ten minutes from Columbia. Lake Murray is about ten/fifteen minutes away from downtown Columbia, plenty of rivers if you're into kayaking, and you nearly can't throw a rock without hitting a nearby state park/forest for camping. Congaree National Forest, Sesquicentennial State Park, Dreher Island State Park...all within a short drive of Columbia.

Columbia's a big city (area-wise) so it all depends on what part of town you're in as to what's immediately nearby but I'm glad to answer any questions.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I grew up in Columbia. It is either a very big small city or a very small big city, depending on your philosophical bend. I'd recommend it as a nice place to live.

The pros:
    -Many big city lures (museums, concerts, downtown area) without enormous congestion and traffic problems. I live near Atlanta now, and I miss defining "traffic jams" as taking 10 extra minutes to drive past the only major interstate junction in the entire city.
    -Still has a small town feel when you leave the downtown areas
    -Close to everything (beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes, hiking, camping...)

The cons:
    -HOT AS HELL with 10,000% humidity in the summer. There is no such thing as a breeze in Columbia.
    -Pollen. If you have bad allergies, pollen is almost comically bad in Columbia (remember, no breeze to blow it away).
    -Doesn't have everything a large city has.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all the posts. I hope to visit the area several times. Luckily, I have some time to make my decision. I did get to experience some mediterranean dining and a famous Columbia cloudburst later in the day. I grew up in the extreme lower Chattahoochee valley, so I know humidity, and Columbia has some epic humidity. Breezes are like switchback in the Linville Gorge, non-existent! I will check out the FB page. I know I could count on good info!
    Thanks again!
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Gresh mentioned one of my favorite places, the Congaree National Swamp. Search for it on here and you'll find some trip reports. It's a great place to winter camp.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    There's also Harbison State Forest. No camping or hanging (I think they might do Scouts camping), but it has access to the river and hiking/biking trails. Another option about an hour plus away is Santee Cooper and it has a State park with camping. My favorite though is about 2 hours away where you'll find Ceasar's Head and Jones' Gap that have great hiking and some walk in camping.
    Bill

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    There's also Harbison State Forest. No camping or hanging (I think they might do Scouts camping), but it has access to the river and hiking/biking trails.
    I wouldn't rule out the possibility of camping there. PSH has a reputation in the state park system that gets us into places that are sometimes reserved for Scouts. In fact, just a few weeks ago we were in the primitive area of Dreher Island, which is Scouts-only (they define it as "youth groups only," but that totally means scouts).
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast