Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Just curious. Do you leave the lines attached to your tarp? I'm going to try this but I haven't decided where the best place to carry everything is.
    Yes, I leave everything attached. No need to take it off, really. At least I don't see why.

@jwright: I have a pair of Wasps, too, but don't like them that much. For 90% of my hangs the Stingerz work fine in standard mode, and I prefer to have a V-shape (with the tip of the V being the end of the tarp) instead of a Y-shape. It helps to prevent the suspension rubbing on the ridgeline. The Wasps don't allow a true V-shape, just as the Stingerz if used with a ridgeline that is spliced into the little eye.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Yep, I agree.
    I'm going to keep the stingers on my 2nd tarp with your mod - thanks again. One can never have too many options.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just curious, before I spliced my ridgeline onto the Stingerz; I believe that I used a larkshead to attach the line (to the Stinger). It's a small circle (on the Stingerz) but if memory serves me correct... it worked. What I am suggesting is that in picture one, you skip tying to the D-ring of the tarp and instead, already have the line larksheaded to the Stingerz. Then you would simply remove (undo larkshead) from the Stingerz to transition to pic two. Does this make since and is it doable, should I ever decide to use this set up?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Just curious, before I spliced my ridgeline onto the Stingerz; I believe that I used a larkshead to attach the line (to the Stinger). It's a small circle (on the Stingerz) but if memory serves me correct... it worked. What I am suggesting is that in picture one, you skip tying to the D-ring of the tarp and instead, already have the line larksheaded to the Stingerz. Then you would simply remove (undo larkshead) from the Stingerz to transition to pic two. Does this make since and is it doable, should I ever decide to use this set up?
    You could certainly do that. But you would lose the V-shape and get a Y-shape instead. My method produces a true V-shape, which gives the hammock suspension more space. Maybe I'll have to take more pictures to illustrate.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good point... never really thought about it in the sense of a Y versus a V. However, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I often have to use trees spaced apart a lot more than I would like (recently had to use two birches about 10m apart), but I don't want to carry 2 x 25m of line.
    hutzelbein, this post is absolute gold. I haven't used dutch gear yet and it has really helped me see the Stingerz potential. I've been debating on the Wasps and this has sold me on the Stingerz.

My plan was to get 50' of Zing-it and have 25ft on either end. When doubled in a V it could give me a max of ~12ft on either end. I really like how your mod gives a true V and the option for longer reaches. I'm in NC, USA and usually can find trees <20 ft apart. Do you think my lengths would be sufficient?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    My plan was to get 50' of Zing-it and have 25ft on either end. When doubled in a V it could give me a max of ~12ft on either end. I really like how your mod gives a true V and the option for longer reaches. I'm in NC, USA and usually can find trees <20 ft apart. Do you think my lengths would be sufficient?
    It depends on how long the ridgeline of your tarp is and the diameter of the trees. My lines are only about 16.5' and most of the time I don't even use half of the length, with my tarp ridgeline being 11'. Provided the trees in question are slim, 25' per side plus a tarp ridgeline of 11' would mean that you could use a V set-up for distances of up to 32'. In the single line set-up you would be able to go up to 57'. Things change, of course, if the tree trunks get larger. I have run out of hammock/tarp suspension with trees that were only about 14' apart but had massive trunks...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Hutzelbein, I take it that you have had no problems putting that much tension on your tarp (as opposed to using prussics to secure the tarp to the line)?

I have two Stingerz that I got without any line attached (and a Wasp and Fleaz and Dutch Hooks and... ), and I am still thinking about how best to deploy them.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    Wow I needed another purchase like I need a hole in my head....

I really like the flexibility here. I've been looking for something to substitute my current 12m lines prussiced onto the tarp.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Hutzelbein, I take it that you have had no problems putting that much tension on your tarp (as opposed to using prussics to secure the tarp to the line)?
    With the Stingerz I never had a problem. I pull the line tight and nothing slips. In the morning, the tarp is as tight as I set it up the night before. When I was still using prussiks, I could never get the tarp ridgeline tight (no mechanical advantage), and in addition, the prussiks always slipped a bit - especially when it was windy. Maybe the Stingerz could become a problem because they don't give. I guess if the wind bends the trees, the tarp could rip. But I have never seen reports about that problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast