Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Hutz, thanks so much for sharing your mod so clearly, and patiently answering 1000 questions. You've put forward a persuasive argument, and I might soon be in the market for a pair of Stingerz. Funny thing, I used to have a pair and sold it because I found myself running out of line when trying to tie my tarp to large-diameter or far-apart trees. The old light bulb didn't go off to tell me that I could do a "Hutz Mod" to overcome that problem using the same hardware. Thanks again for showing me the light, I am a convert (almost).

Here's another thought:

Trying to combine this concept with not having lines and/or hardware hanging from the tarp. (Hence, still employing the Stingerz.) Zing It (or Lash It) spliced to the Stingerz. A spliced eye on the other end (instead of the standard back-splice.) Used in the "standard" way that creates the "V" most of the time. When extra reach is needed, run the line around the tree and pass the Stingerz through the added eye. Clip to the split ring and cinch up in the normal manner, ignoring the fact that the "tail" is spliced to the Stingerz.

The only thing it sacrifices is it still has that tiny (trivial?) bit of "Y" as a result of the Stingerz itself and not the complete "V" that larksheading the line to the split ring gives you.

The benefit is that the Stingerz and line come off the tarp extremely easily (which might not be important at all to some folks!) and the Stingerz is tethered so it should not be easy to lose (again, something that may be totally unimportant to some.)

Just a variation on this creative theme...
    Last edited by TominMN; 01-07-2016 at 21:09.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree, thank you so much for the great discussion Hutz. I do not use a continuous Ridgeline and as a beginner I wanted the easiest yet strongest set up for the tarp. I went with the Stingerz from the start. I later learned to splice and those where the first things I had success with. I saw this mod in an earlier thread and really thought on it. I also am preparing to purchase a CF Tarp and that is when I thought I would make the switch to Wasps. Mainly because of a slight weight and size difference compared to the Stingerz. My plan is to leave the Wasps as close to the D-Ring as possible. Now I know the reason is because of the V versus the Y that Hutz so eloquently explained. I also do not like the hammock straps screeching on the ridge line. However, I thought a Y would be easier with trees farther apart and the wasp would allow that adjustability verses the stationary Stingerz. What I may do is buy the Wasp and try one on one line and leave a Stingerz on the other. Ultimately, I will choose. Why switch? I may not have too but when I go to sell the Edge, I was hoping to leave the guy lines, ridgeline and hardware on it so the deal will be sweeter. Again, thanks Hutzelbien and others for a great thread!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Possible derail but I terminate both ends of all zing-it/lash-it with a fixed eye. I carry an extra length or two of zing-it that I can add anywhere if need be using a quick Larkshead. I've used these extra lengths to do porch mode off to a distant tree a couple times and been happy with the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I thought about doing this in the beginning, but found that I don't really need my "primary" ridgeline to have two fixed eyes, just the extension line. If I want to extend the primary line, I can just larkshead my extension dog bone to it. It wouldn't hurt to have two eyes, but I couldn't think of a situation where I would really need it.
    Always love your insight. Thank you again. I generally hang in very enclosed area and use my extra line for my side pull-outs in extra windy weather, or when I'm needing to set-up in a more exposed spot. Perhaps clean's idea with having a fixed eye on those, rather than both, could come in handy when needing them for extension lines for more extreme distances.

How did you get that high up the tree? Ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    My point was to substitute a Flyz for the Stingerz, assuming the Stingerz in the described set-up stays on the split ring. Smaller with, I believe, basically the same size hook, antenna, and wing. The Fleaz would work but some argue against the smaller size in terms of working with it.

I like the function of the Wasp. I definitely use it on a one-piece line for the ridge that has tensioners on it. In this case, yes, the ease in moving it is quite important. Not so much with the separate lines using Stingerz that started out as the topic on this particular thread. As Dutch describes them, the Flyz are intended to be able to be moved but mostly stay in one place and the Wasp is designed to be regularly moved. In this case I was suggesting a stationary Flyz to replace a stationary Stingerz.

Not trying to beat a dead horse,...really, truly.
    This is why I went with the fleaz. I have a smaller tarp and separate lines, which works much better than a CRL for me. I have no problem working with the fleaz, they're exactly what I wanted, size and all. Perhaps it's those with larger hands who struggle?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Lean the bike on the tree; block the brakes; climb on the saddle; put the tree straps around the tree; push the straps up with a stick as far as possible Sometimes there are branches I can climb on. I also use the tree straps to help me climbing. That's why I don't use Dutch Clips but biners rated for climbing. Anything becomes possible when the alternative is sleeping on the ground
    You guys must be related! Very resourceful. MTI4OTkyOTQyNjk3NDI1NTM5.jpg
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    wow that is such a bad idea

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456