Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Superfly trekking pole mod and CRL or not

I've got a Superfly clone coming my way and I need to get the guyline setup figured out. I plan on using my trekking poles for the pole mod as seen in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...llout-for-Tarp

I've used separate tie outs in the past, but I'm a bit worried about ridgeline wear with the poles. I can go with a dutchware CRL to keep the poles off the ridgeline. I could also have some grosgrain sewn onto the ridgeline right where the poles would contact the seam. Any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking of having Lineloc 3's sewn to the panel pulls for easy adjustment of the poles. I'm already having them put on all the other tieouts.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I don't have a superfly, but I used a CRL with my pole modded Tadpole. I found that putting the pole over the CRL gave the pole a bit more lifting force and opened up the tarp a bit more. I also didn't really like having the pole rubbing against the nylon.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    +1 what somniferous said. Superfly clone.... ? I'm thinking of making a superfly.... Who made it for you?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    There are many effective methods to pull out the side panels, my suggestion is try several and see which works best for you in each situation. A taunt RL (cord not grosgrain) above the tarp with the pole resting across that is effective. You may eventually want to order some Easton 0.344 aluminum or carbon fiber poles from eBay or one of several discount online pole suppliers and attach to pullouts with dyneema dogbones. This is what I did but found it to be a waste of time and pack space most of the time when I am in a wooded area and can just easily find a stick a few feet away. Use one 4 -7 foot tall stick like Brandon demonstrates in the tarp video at the www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/videos
    two good videos one with Superfly panel pull outs and one with cloud burst in extra wide mode for a bridge hammock, also creative use of girth hitch around top of pole you could use on your trekking pole. Also note wrap around ground stake as alternative to line locs for when one of those gets broken.

Bottom line once you get your tarp go out in the back yard or local park with your poles, cordage, stakes and other misc items and just tryout some ideas. It ain't all that complicated.

Just my personal opinion but line locs may be very lightweight and all but I would not want them permanently on the side panel pullouts. When in porch mode which for me is MOST OF THE TIME, (heck if I wanted to be closed up I would use a tent) I don't want any added weight or stuff flapping around up there. When it gets crushed or broken somehow (and it will, dang plastic always does) you will need to work around it and revert to a girth hitch (aka lark's head) and will begin to understand why the old timer's still prefer these with slippery half hitches. But I'm just a crusty old coot. I like the "new" plastic toys but would never want to be in the wilderness and reliant on them.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-13-2014 at 06:16.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you're using your tarp every day for years, I'd say some measures may need to be taken to protect the tarp. But at that point, other elements of the tarp are also going to be getting worn out.

If you're using this a few dozen times a year, I'd say there's no reason that the poles would cause any significant wear on the tarp.

You have a smooth piece of metal gently resting against the tarp.

If anything, you're going to have less concern using the method you mention of not using a CRL as the tarp material wouldn't be getting squeezed between the CRL of the tarp and the poles.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'll just let the poles rest on the tarp for now and reevaluate after some use to see if I need to go to a CRL or add some wear patches. I didn't want to use tent poles because thats a dedicated extra part that doesn't have another use and I'm already carrying trekking poles.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    There are many effective methods to pull out the side panels, my suggestion is try several and see which works best for you in each situation. A taunt RL (cord not grosgrain) above the tarp with the pole resting across that is effective. You may eventually want to order some Easton 0.344 aluminum or carbon fiber poles from eBay or one of several discount online pole suppliers and attach to pullouts with dyneema dogbones. This is what I did but found it to be a waste of time and pack space most of the time when I am in a wooded area and can just easily find a stick a few feet away. Use one 4 -7 foot tall stick like Brandon demonstrates in the tarp video at the www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/videos
    two good videos one with Superfly panel pull outs and one with cloud burst in extra wide mode for a bridge hammock, also creative use of girth hitch around top of pole you could use on your trekking pole. Also note wrap around ground stake as alternative to line locs for when one of those gets broken.

Bottom line once you get your tarp go out in the back yard or local park with your poles, cordage, stakes and other misc items and just tryout some ideas. It ain't all that complicated.

Just my personal opinion but line locs may be very lightweight and all but I would not want them permanently on the side panel pullouts. When in porch mode which for me is MOST OF THE TIME, (heck if I wanted to be closed up I would use a tent) I don't want any added weight or stuff flapping around up there. When it gets crushed or broken somehow (and it will, dang plastic always does) you will need to work around it and revert to a girth hitch (aka lark's head) and will begin to understand why the old timer's still prefer these with slippery half hitches. But I'm just a crusty old coot. I like the "new" plastic toys but would never want to be in the wilderness and reliant on them.
    This is what I'd say, too.
    While I really like the Easton poles and set up I'm going to try sticks next time. I carry trekking poles; haven't tried them but they feel significantly heavier, in the grand scheme of things (I don't know if they'd be too heavy). The CRL running above the tarp definitely helps keep the poles off the ridgeline of my SuperFly (the SF made by WB already has grosgrain as the ridgeline seam, FYI).

• + New Posts