DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Ivy mostly just sleeps someplace close by. She likes to make her own bed. I have tried taking a pad, but she never used it, so I don't take it anymore. If it is raining or storming, she is under the hammock. For the most part, I trust her off leash. She seams to feel safer off leash at night, and she rarely goes beyond our camp perimeter. If the bear dogs are running nearby, I will leash her to one of my hammock trees, since she does not like them coming into our camp.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Buddy sleeps under the hammock unless he gets too cold then he jumps in the hammock with me. I clip his leash to the tarp ridge line at night so he can move around but not chase after furry woodland creatures. He sleeps on top of his sleeping bag in warmer weather.

And in his sleeping bag when the weather is cold.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My 90 lbs Golden Retriever Charlie, similar to 2Ply's Buddy, sleeps under my hammock and tarp. When car camping, as in below, I bring one of Charlie's foam beds along with a moving blanket to keep him. warm. The pictures below were taken in late October in Massachusetts. The temps at night got down to the low to mid 40's. We were in the Berkshire Mountains in Western Massachusetts.

When backpacking with Charlie, he isn't quite as spoiled, but, he still sleeps under the hammock and tarp, but on a piece of rolled closed cell foam with a blanket. I usually don't tether him. He's not a wanderer and always sticks nearby in camp. We have had coyotes nearby on occasion and he will engage them with a few snarls of his own if they get too close and then it all dies down.

Car Camping Charlie_edited-1.jpg

On The Trail_edited-1.jpg

Threw in the picture of Charlie laying in a small water fall just for laughs. That pic was taken on July 4th, 2013 and the temp was about 92 on Mt. Greylock. Charlie decided to take matters into his own hands and cool down. He's a real character.

Each dog is different so you should experiment a little with yours. You'll soon figure out what works for you. What I know doesn't work for me is piling 90 lbs of enthusiastic Golden Retriever into my hammock and having any expectation of sleeping.

I did buy a cheapo hammock for Charlie. I just haven't had the time to try the bunk bed approach yet this summer. When I do, I'll post the pictures. He's either going to love it, or be afraid of it, (the sway). If he tries it at all, I'll probably have to guy it out so there isn't a lot of motion. It will also be inches off the ground.

Anyway, all the best as you experiment.

Gil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Diesel is a 115lb lab so he cant sleep in the hammock with me. He hates it cuz when I sleep in a bed, he sleeps on it too. He lays under the hammock and tarp though once he gets settled down and realizes hes not getting in. I also attach his leash to the suspension.
    He does get pretty excited sometimes when he sees critters and he almost tore me and the hammock right off the tree....lol.
    I think the more you hammock camp with them, the more they will get used to it.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    i have a 5 pound yorkie and she has never gone camping with me since i converted to the trees. i plan on taking her once there are more people with me though. i'm thinking of letting her sleep with me in my hammock, because she snuggles up in bed when we are home, but i'm also debating buying one of those cheapy hammocks for her incase she wants to sleep alone in her own. such a cute idea for her to have her own hammock... then again, she has her own mini tent that i made her, that goes inside of my tent haha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12