First Hammock Trip recap.

OK so this past weekend I was at ohiopyle with some friends for a two night, 15 mile hike. I was set up with an ENO double nest, therm-a-rest opencell, thick fleece blanket, atlas straps, continuous Ridgeline, and 10 x 12 poly tarp. It was cold the first night and I was setup away from the fire so I got a little cold. Night two I set up next to the fire and pitched the side close to the fire open and away low to reflect heat and it was perfect. The poly tarp works fine, but takes up a lot of pack space. To improve I am looking to get an ENO dryfly, and a 20 degree or so bag. I also used no bug net and had 0 problems. I assume this won't always be the case so may need one of those too. My buddy had the same set up except with a dry fly XL (way to big) and an actual bag.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Great report. I think a nice bag will make a big difference. I got a long slumber jack and has been a great bag for the price.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Great first trip out and assessment of your gear. If you are like most I read here, the gear is as addicting as the hiking into wonderful locations.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad you had a good time. It doesn't take much to get out into the woods. You can refine your gear over time and thereby increase your mileage and explore farther.

One lesson that many of us has learned is this; instead of incrementally buying up through progressively more expensive steps within each category, do your research to figure out where you will end up and save your pennies until you can buy it. In other words, if you are going to end up with a Cuben tarp, it is cheaper to save up and buy it as the next purchase than to start with a Wallyworld tarp, then a polyester PU coated tarp, then a silnylon tarp, and finally a Cuben tarp. The same is true of going from synthetic sleeping bags to downy under quilts & top quilts.

The ultimate decision is going to be different for everyone. Factors to take into account are whether one is a car camper or a high mileage backpacker, is one a summer only camper or a snow camper also, does one get out twice a year or more than once a month, etc.

Almost every purchase of gear should take these factors into account so that you can decide if a Dutch oven or an alcohol stove is right for you.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts