WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps

stolen hammocks

Has anybody had their hammock stolen on the trail? I like to set up camp then explore, fish etc. I always worry someone will take my hammock while im not there, since it is so easy to take down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhagan View Post
    since it is so easy to take down.
    I think most people do this before they leave. Or they hide their hammock really well. You know the camo craze? This is probably why.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

people be taking my stuff, that just ain't right

Perhaps it is that I grew up in S.A. and had lots of stuff stolen down there and always pack it up and hide it if no one is staying back at camp. The camo does not help much unless you do a lot of other concealment as well.
    So mostly it has just been coolers and stuff like that at State Parks that I had stolen from me in N.A.
    My advice is if your gear is expensive I.e. hammock, possibly tarp take 10 minutes, pack it up put in a black plastic bag or dark lightweight dry bay (I.e. Marine or military style) and stash it out of sight. Generally I camp/travel with friends who like to hang around camp so not a problem. But when occasionally solo I try to stay very silent and dark and most people pass right by and have no idea I am there. Camo tarp and Ghillie net etc has its limitations if you were not well trained in the "complete" art and science of concealment. Few people really are.

Edit: Your thread reminded me of a "news" story I saw just a week or so ago. This family set up their EZ-UP shade shelter on a public beach (like many of us have). Then after a few hours they went to get lunch or something (like lots of ppl do all the time in USA but probably not Hati). When the family returns these two "ladies" both white and middle class looking have a wagon and are loading up the family's shade shelter and folding chairs. So the father who owns the stuff politely tells them it is his stuff while his wife video records the whole event. The "ladies" probably well into their 60's or older insist that it is their stuff and get very angry at him. LOL
    I have had people come sit under a Noah's tarp I set up at PCB in Florida and I was just out in the water swimming then they tell me it is theirs when I come back. My wife is VERY white so it was for her and BTW she still went all lobster in the kettle on us. LOL
    I don't know what it is but some people be tripp'n when they see a five finger discount. LOL YMMV. Nothing against folks from Florida the employees at the hotel said those dudes were from Alabama but who knows they may have just had a grudge against folks from there. It's all good, no one got a beat down with my heavy duty ocean proof tarp pole. LOL
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-14-2014 at 19:57. Reason: edit: shade thieves at the beach, ppl be tripp'n

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    At least two people have reported having their Hammock(s) mis appropriated while on a Hang. I think one member reported his hammock and a friends were removed, however the tents in the group were left alone. Five or six years ago someone else reported their gear removed without their permission.

I keep my stuff with me, or at least within my vision. Here in Oregon it is not unusal to have your vehicle broken into when left at a trail head. We lived right on the Columbia River Gourge, there people would break into vehicles even with hikers all over the place, not just snatch and grab, but pop the trunk rumage around and take whatever is of value and throw out the other items.

I am really surprised at how fortunate our group has been about hanging onto our gear.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    I must admit I got my superfly in mutlicam thinking I'd leave my camp to go peak bagging....don't think I'm going to even try now though.
    had someone/thing mess with my car at a trail head last month.....so little weary.
    either a bear was trying to get in or someone with a external frame pack was scratching their back on my roof rack....

Id be "ok" with bear scratches but people messing with my stuff is a real bummer.

It would be soooo easy to just unclip a UQ or something and stuff that sucker in a pack and be off.

maybe I'm getting curmudgeony ...but not taking the chance anymore unless I was reallllly remote and waaaayyyyy far off trail.

stuff is to spencive.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 08-14-2014 at 20:03.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    *knock on wood* I've never had gear go missing in the Adirondacks. In the Catskills (where the people from NYC who are to lazy to drive to the Dacks go) I wouldn't leave a tent stake alone for a micro second. We've had things go missing while walking 100' to the bathroom in public campgrounds.

That being said.. I left 2 hammocks up, complete with tarps, quilts, dutchware etc up in the Green Mountains of Vermont last weekend for 10 hours unattended, 2 days in a row.. and not a hair was out of place.

I've always thought of investing in a PacSafe.. but even then, I've heard horror stories on the trail of people going back to their pacsafe to find the pack sliced to crap, and anything small enough to be extracted through the steel mesh gone. GPS, Filters, stoves etc.

A buddy of mine will actually hang his pack bear bag style with a steel cable and a padlock.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    From my experience I would say that the deeper into the wilderness you are the safer your gear is from people taking or damaging it. During the rut in parts of Alaska and other northern area a Moose running though your hammock may be more likely. LOL. Buck in southern regions. So I like to take it down. At Texas Butt Bake this teenage girl when tearing off road thru the camping area (@ night) in a 4 wheeler until I got all "parental" in her face. I was actually very polite. She avoided our area after that.
    So your biggest concern is when you are near a trailhead or large city or at least that has been my experience. When I encounter a teenage girl riding a hormone in raged bull moose through a bunch of hanging hammocks I will try to photograph or video record it and post it to HF. LOL dang I drank a lot of coffee today ;-)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While scuba diving one night in Hawaii we came up check where we were in relation to where we went into the water. I had parked under a street lamp and we were able to watch my car being broken into. By the time we were able to get back to shore the thieves were gone. They tried to hot wire the car but could not but did steal a bunch of scuba gear out of the trunk of the car.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Sad state of affairs when there is such a high incidence of disrespect for the property of other people.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Little off topic for this thread but tangentially related: avoid hanging your hammock across a "game trail". If some critter's antlers come ripping through your tarp and hammock netting because a deer or elk got spooked down by the watering hole it is your fault not the animal that has been using that trail for years. If these subtle trails are difficult for you to detect spend a weekend with a certified master naturalist or a highly recommended local hunting guide. Or just Bubba your Bro-in-law who tells everyone he is good with a bow and arrow but only has Omaha steaks in his deep freeze, your choice. Hey that last bit was a joke.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast