Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress

bridge spreader bar via trekking pole ideas

Hi all,

I'd like to utilize my BD ergo cork trekking poles for my bridge hammock spreader bars.

I saw prof. hammock's version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTF-U-0ivs
    with the dowls inside but not sure if this is necessary with my poles.

Also I'm assuming I'll have to drill and expoxy a metal head to the top handle of the poles, but wonder if folks here have used these poles for this purpose?

Are there other options that people are utilizing?

Thanks!
    Ben

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Seen this post from Jacob Conroy? havent seen a picture yet but sounds like he's up to the same thing.

The BD Ergo models have a slight bend at the handle. While this makes it more comfortable when walking, it also means the top of the handle is not in line with the shaft. Placing a pin in the top of the handle will create significant bending stress on the shaft. I don't think you want to do that unless you're extremely petite.

I've used my BD Ergo poles with a DIY bridge hammock, but it includes a custom strap attachment to move the point of contact about half way down the handle (where it's in-line with the center of the shaft). I haven't been able to devise an easy way to adapt the Ergo models to a RR. If I were to use a RR, I would look for a non-Ergo model pole.

IMAG0336.jpg

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress
    G-Rat~
    This is so appreciated!!!

Is the webbing around the handle 2 layers or 4?
    Do you have any more photos?
    Thanks!!!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

My simple adaptations:

Nice, G-rat.

For the trekking pole spike end, I didn't make or buy plates (from Dutch) that can accept a pole tip. I've tried two options--both work:
    1. I stick the point into the larks-head of the hammock's triangle suspension dogbone. Picture: DSC01001.jpg The amount of point that makes it into the loop works--I haven't used this long-term, but others on the forum use this method. The cinching force plus friction of the loop likely exceeds the force pulling the loop over the point. I took physics too long ago to recall how to figure this one out.
    2. I used a 3 3/16" section of 0.625" diameter tent pole with an end plug--it goes over the distal pole end, but I fret about losing this. Picture: DSC00996.jpg

For the grip end, I have an 8" loop of amsteel that I larks-headed onto the end of the dog bone of the hammock's triangle suspension--it stays on the dogbone.
    DSC00999.jpg Picture shows the dogbone of the triangular suspension from center to lower right and the 8" loop from center to left.
    I then larks-headed the loop onto the pole grip. My older Black Diamond (BD) trekking pole doesn't cant forward at the grip, but I wouldn't drill the top to install a pin because BD anchored the wrist straps using a pin across the center.
    DSC00998.jpg
    The whole mod works, if I've tightened the Flick-Locks on my BD pole enough to prevent telescoping under load. One could accomplish the grip end adaptation with a webbing loop of 1/2" tubular, 3/4" plain or even 1" plain. Over time the webbing loop would have a lower tendency to leave an impression than would the amsteel.

YHMV
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kayak4water; 08-15-2014 at 20:49. Reason: first jpg too dark

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Keep the post coming!!!!! This has been a problem for me I have the ergo BD poles and I would love to see if there is a really good way to see them used with a bridge hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Guss View Post
    Is the webbing around the handle 2 layers or 4?
    Do you have any more photos?
    2 layers, crossed over the top, then brought back around on themselves to form a pocket. It was tedious (aka pain in the butt!) getting the dimensions and angles right.

I forgot to mention, this rubs hard on the cork handle, chewing it up slightly. After this photo was taken I added a plastic pad between strap & cork, formed from a piece of thin-wall PVC pipe that I heat-molded to the shape of the handle. In other words, another pain in the butt. I'll try to get a picture in a day or two.

Although I love the flick-lock feature when hiking, I didn't trust it to hold as a spreader bar. Adding dowels inside is also complicated because the inside of the curved handle is hollow. I took a large dowel that would just fit into the upper section of pole and felt how far it would go in easily without binding on the curve. I then took a smaller dowel and cut it to fill from that point to the top end of the handle (through the curve). I then jammed the smaller dowel in place so it's there permanently. The larger piece of dowel goes in at camp and travels in my pack during the day.

This thread got me to re-think how to use poles with the Ergo handles (which I like very much) so I went back into the workshop this morning.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...45#post1307545

• + New Posts