Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Caught the Bug in MI

In planning my first hike with some friends one of them suggested taking a hammock instead of a tent. I thought this was intriguing, now hours of investigating and I think I have the hammock bug. As I have a tight budget for this trip, and no hiking gear, the plan is to DIY a table cloth hammock, get a blue tarp, and hang in the trees. I am super stoked for this new adventure and want to thank all of those who contribute their knowledge to others through this forum.

First hike is going to be the Manistee River Loop in mid-September.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida.
    Don't forget that you will need under insulation such as a foam pad, which you probably already have. A sleeping bag's insulation will crush under your weight and become mostly ineffective. If your pad is the typical narrow 20" wide, you will want a 2nd pad running crosswise under your shoulders.

Have fun out there and post some pictures!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Welcome... We now have 3 loop hikes up in that area to enjoy.. Manistee, Jordan river pathway, Fife lake.... .. I like them in that order the best..
    Plus one on the pad and sleeping bag.. And not to mention proper tree straps and leave no trace.... Have a great time... I love the Manistee..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PointPastor View Post
    Have fun there! I love that loop. Really enjoyed starting at the Marilla TH on the NCT side heading south/counter-clockwise.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Hey, PointPastor. I am also from SE Michigan (Farmington, Livonia, Redford area). I have a cheap starter hammock that you could borrow (nothing special at all...no bug net). I slept one night in it and learned that I was not a gathered end hammock fan (later got myself a warbonnet Ridgerunner and it has been heaven since I am a back sleeper). With my long legs I got hyper extension of the knees but a lot of that could be to me not hanging it well, etc. You may find it more comfy than I did. It seems to be rated well on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Weanas%C2%AE-P...8123501&sr=1-1

I am not a huge fan of the ropes it comes with and I would have to find where I put them. Otherwise you would have to provide your own hanging cordage (attached between the carabiners and the trees). If you live in the area (I also commute to Detroit), I can let you borrow it in advance (need to have it back the first week in October). It is lightweight and I did sleep in it but at that time I was not as learned then as I am now. If you don't like it, you can always continue on with your DIY plans.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome and have fun on your hike! You should consider going to the Fall Hang and Chili Festival...there will be plenty of knowledge and hammocks and fun! Also a raffle where you could win some really nice gear.
    Here is the planning thread.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by PointPastor View Post
    In planning my first hike with some friends one of them suggested taking a hammock instead of a tent. I thought this was intriguing, now hours of investigating and I think I have the hammock bug. As I have a tight budget for this trip, and no hiking gear, the plan is to DIY a table cloth hammock, get a blue tarp, and hang in the trees. I am super stoked for this new adventure and want to thank all of those who contribute their knowledge to others through this forum.

Welcome!

Do you have an idea of what the temps will be like in the night? You'll be surprised how cold your backside can get in a hammock, so you may want to look into some sort of insulation. A pad will work just fine, or you could DIY a poncho-liner underquilt.

Have fun!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Ninja Black
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I literally just did that loop last weekend! Beautiful views of the river on the south side of the loop. I started at the Red Bridge access point and went north and east to start and camped at the waterfalls. There are some great spots to hang around there.

I definitely second (or maybe third now) the suggestion for under insulation. It was cold enough at night last week to wear my down jacket as well as have my quilt up to my neck!

Enjoy your trip! Beautiful country up there!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Welcome and have fun on your hike! You should consider going to the Fall Hang and Chili Festival...there will be plenty of knowledge and hammocks and fun! Also a raffle where you could win some really nice gear.
    Here is the planning thread.
    I second this. I have never been to a hammock hang myself but am planning to attend this one.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Papal Rage View Post
    Hey, PointPastor. I am also from SE Michigan (Farmington, Livonia, Redford area). I have a cheap starter hammock that you could borrow (nothing special at all...no bug net). I slept one night in it and learned that I was not a gathered end hammock fan (later got myself a warbonnet Ridgerunner and it has been heaven since I am a back sleeper). With my long legs I got hyper extension of the knees but a lot of that could be to me not hanging it well, etc. You may find it more comfy than I did. It seems to be rated well on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Weanas%C2%AE-P...8123501&sr=1-1

I am not a huge fan of the ropes it comes with and I would have to find where I put them. Otherwise you would have to provide your own hanging cordage (attached between the carabiners and the trees). If you live in the area (I also commute to Detroit), I can let you borrow it in advance (need to have it back the first week in October). It is lightweight and I did sleep in it but at that time I was not as learned then as I am now. If you don't like it, you can always continue on with your DIY plans.

Thank you for the offer, I think I am going to stick with DIY right now, my schedule is pretty full and don't know that I could get from you and get it back. Other wise I would try it out for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast