Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch

Ridge runner pad

I am looking at a klymit inertia xl sleeping pad to insert between the layers of my RR. I am thinking that the holes might let out the condensation. Has anyone tried this?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    This is one review from their web site.

Inertia XL Review by Guyz
    "Great compact design is true spacesaver and lightweight. Works well when put inside sleeping bag, especially effective when using a Hennesay Explorer Deluxe Hammock. Especially liked the small hand inflation device provides adjustment to pad effortlessly"- Sam S (Cataula GA) (Posted on 12/2/-1)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    One problem might be that it is not insulated. I have not used a pad in a hammock but it seems to me that a basic air mattress would not provide any warmth. Would the deep channels on the other insulated models make a way for condensation to escape?
    I am thinking of getting a pad just to give me options in case I ever need to go to ground. The Klimit looks like a contender.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 Hexon 10'
    Tarp
    HG Std CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DG Whoopie Hook
    It would be much more effective inside the sleeping bag as it would allow you to use the bags loft to insulate below you.

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    I (my girlfriend) has a RR and I can tell you from experience that you should just get the UQ that is made for it. It's the simplest thing in the world to attach and setup, it fits perfectly, and is small and very light weight. I got her the 0 degree quilt, and I have serious hammock envy when we hang together... When we don't hang together I often use her hammock, it's just easier to setup.

Just in case I missed the mark here, I have nothing to add about a pad... she has used it with a pad and had a pretty easy time of it, so if you were trying to make a decision between UQ and pad, I hope this helped... otherwise please disregard my useless reply. kthxbye
    Last edited by Anon83; 08-20-2014 at 02:41. Reason: Edited because I may have missed the mark.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Pads allways seem to collect moisture no matter what. IMO a uq is your best bet AHE also makes one just for The rr and it's reasonable in price

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Condensation happens; depends on the weather. I've seen condensation dripping onto my TQ from the bugnet on my RR around dawn, but it evaporated later that morning.

This Klymit pad is interesting; I'm curious if it works for you (or if others have used this particular pad in a hammock). I'm not sure the holes in it will work as well inside a hammock as they might on the ground, because air isn't trapped in a hammock so it might let in more cold breezes.

While an underquilt is lighter and less bulky than most pads (and the Lynx is probably the best underquilt for the RR), using a standard ~24" wide pad inside the double layers does make the Ridgerunner feel a bit wider without making it tippy (assuming you don't overfill the pad). In other words, I doubt you'd need to use this pad's inflating pump.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    The Inertia XL is my go to insulation for the Ridge Runner during the summer. Have used this for two years now. I haven't had any condensation problems with this set up. I think Klymit's "body mapping" and the openings in the pad help to prevent condensation. It is comfortable for me down to the upper 50's.

I use the Klymit insulated Static V for the shoulder seasons. It could stand to be a little wider, but it's not bad.

I do think that you get some added insulation effect since the pad is sandwiched between the two layers of nylon. This creates some dead air space.

KG
    Last edited by kghiker; 08-21-2014 at 19:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    Thanks for the responses. I am going to order a Klymit inertia xl. I do have an underquilt and a top quilt which I use in the winter and fall, but in the summer I really like to travel light. I believe that the air pad sandwiched between the 2 layers will give me some insulation from the outside air. My previous hammock was a Clark North American and when it was windy or cool I would put blown up zip lock bags in the pockets underneath and that helped keep me warm. I will post how it goes.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Hey Tripod (and kghiker),

Can either of you update your comments on using this Klymit inertia XL pad with the Ridgerunner, on summer nights?

I'm curious about its durability, and down to what night-time temperatures you'd recommend this. More specifically wondering if you're using this pad between the layers of a double layer RR, or sleeping directly on the pad on top of the RR's cloth "mattress" (SL or DL) -- seems like lying directly on this pad might warm it up more (as ApeHanger suggested), but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast