Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/OQ

HH Undercover with UQ

I'm a new hammock camper and new to the forums. Spent my first night in me Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker last weekend. It was great until the temps dropped into the 30s and I about froze solid. So I immediately placed an order for a HG Incubator after reading about them on here. As you know the incubator is not cheap and I was considering getting the undercover from Hennessy just to add some insulation for winter hangs, but mostly to protect the Incubator. Has anyone used the HH undercover with an UQ? I'm just concerned the UQ might get too compressed between the two, lowering its effectiveness.

Thanks for any thoughts, I've learned a ton on these forums.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I don't have frist hand experience with the HH undercover, but from the looks of it, you're right; it will compress the incubator too much. What yu need is a proper UQ protector. 2QZQ would be the best to contact for such a thing.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/OQ
    Thanks Alex, even if it did work, those 2QZQ models are much cheaper! Am I being paranoid or do most people use UQ protectors? Suppose it depends on what environment you are hanging in. I'll be mostly up in the Rockies so temp/rain/sun changes happen throughout the day. Can pretty much count on an afternoon shower.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    You're welcome Dirk G! and they make great stuff!!

You may be a little paranoid because I'd say a minority are avid UQP users. For the Rockies, I'd suggest the 1.1 oz nylon, not the silnylon UQP. If you have a good sized tarp (and know how to pitch it) your UQ won't get wet. Even splash-ups are are well defended against by the UQ shell itself. I'd argue the best benefit of a UQP is the warmth they add. they block wind and add another layer of protection from heat loss and that goes a long way (or at least 10 degrees). they also make a convenient gear stash!

For the price, they are worth the piece of mind!

And be sure to pick up some sort of storage bag for your new quilt as I don't think the incubator comes with one. Storing the quilt uncompressed will do more for the longevity of the product than anything else.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have use the HH UC with a 40* quilt, the trick is to modify the UC to sag enough below the UQ so as not to compress the UQ and lessen the UQ's insulating loft. The stock UC is designed to hold the open cell foam snugly against the bottom of the hammock and will compress the UQ. If you do not already have the UC, buy one from 2QZQ or your favorite vendor for much less than the UC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk G View Post
    I'm a new hammock camper and new to the forums. Spent my first night in me Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker last weekend. It was great until the temps dropped into the 30s and I about froze solid. So I immediately placed an order for a HG Incubator after reading about them on here. As you know the incubator is not cheap and I was considering getting the undercover from Hennessy just to add some insulation for winter hangs, but mostly to protect the Incubator. Has anyone used the HH undercover with an UQ? I'm just concerned the UQ might get too compressed between the two, lowering its insulating capacity.

Thanks for any thoughts, I've learned a ton on these forums.
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 08-18-2014 at 18:09.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts