Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Maybe a stupid question But....

what is the advantage of a "bottom quilt" vs a quilt/sleeping bag INside the hammock???? thanks

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    With a sleeping bag, you are laying on the bottom of it, crushing the insulation resulting in almost no efficiency. The same is true on the ground, but your pad and the ground itself is the insulation in that case, not the bottom of the bag. In a hammock, you have a constant flow of air beneath you carrying away your body heat. The under quilt hangs under, but touching, the hammock and is therefore fully lofted and working at maximum efficiency.

Oh, and a video of someone squirming into a sleeping bag while in a hammock, makes for great YouTube comedy! Lol
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    With a sleeping bag, you are laying on the bottom of it, crushing the insulation resulting in almost no efficiency. The same is true on the ground, but your pad and the ground itself is the insulation in that case, not the bottom of the bag. In a hammock, you have a constant flow of air beneath you carrying away your body heat. The under quilt hangs under, but touching, the hammock and is therefore fully lofted and working at maximum efficiency.

Oh, and a video of someone squirming into a sleeping bag while in a hammock, makes for great YouTube comedy! Lol
    i see thanks i never thought about the bag being smashed

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole w/ pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Before I bought my underquilt, I was using a yoga mat / partially zipped sleeping bag combo.The foam mat was good for bottom insulation, but it just doesn't compare to an underquilted nest. Words can't describe

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    You'll know the first night you sleep on it without UQ.

Another method is using bigger sleeping bag that has zippers open both ways, set hammock through it, the bag wrap it like pea pod, thus your weight on the hammock, not compressing the under part.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

Minor nit.

The ground is NOT insulation. The planet is always trying to equalize your temperature with its own. The pad prevents that. Most folks think a pad is a sort of mattress, but its insulation to keep the planet from sucking the heat out of your body.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Some materials such as thick wool blankets you borrow from the barn intended for horses or even a few of the synthetic insulation materials are still somewhat effective when the "loft" is crushed out of them by your body's weight but if you try that with a goose down quilt or sleeping bag or even many synthetic sleeping bags you will quickly learn the meaning of "cold butt syndrome". And may spend the evening feeding your camp fire and doing the human rotisserie by it. LOL

Hammock
    WB BB XLC 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Recently switched from pad inside the hammock to a WB Yeti UQ and I immediately felt a difference. Not only was the UQ warmer but the fiddle factor of adjusting the pad (or any other item you are laying on in the hammock is difficult to adjust once your weight is on it) was gone as well as the hammock was just a more comfortable hang. I had tried a blanket and other ideas for insulation in the hammock but the UQ trumps all.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Minor nit.

The ground is NOT insulation. The planet is always trying to equalize your temperature with its own. The pad prevents that. Most folks think a pad is a sort of mattress, but its insulation to keep the planet from sucking the heat out of your body.
    This bothered me too. The ground is rarely insulating you unless the air temperature has drastically dropped recently or you're sleeping on top of buried coals from a recent campfire (which I don't really recommend for the novice camper).

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No stupid questions......just the same ones over and over.

Conduction of ground temps robs one of body heat. Ground Dwellers slow this with a pad. The bottom insulation in their SB doesn't do this because body weight negates loft. The pad slows down heat loss enough that it can be replaced at a higher rate than it is lost. That's what it takes to not wake up feeling cold.

Convection is heat loss due to colder air circulating all around you. Hangers slow this effect with an UQ which hangs from the underneath of the hammock, which when properly installed is not compacted or crushed by one's body weight. Most people use to pads will be surprised at what down insulation feels like underneath you when it's not compressed. It slows the rate of heat loss so much more than a normal pad, that it often feels like it is generating it's own heat!
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast