Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So new Im still looking for my first hammock

First, thanks for letting me be part of the forum. I think it will be a good place to learn about a new interest. I found the forum after stumbling across a Hannessy Hammock on line. I thought it was the coolest camping item that I had seen in awhile. After just a few minutes of "google-fu" I realize that there are "choices" to say the least. Now Im a little overwhelmed. I do like the Hannessy, seems compact, light, easy to set up, and has a mosquito net (a must in NW Florida). Last week I came across a military style "jungle hammock." The price is right $50.00 +/-. Ill mainly be using it for overnight backpacking trips. So, should I get the jungle hammock? Will I be disappointed and turned of to the hammock idea all together. OR, should I hold out for something else, and if so, what? Thoughts / Suggestions?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. Forget the jungle hammock - it will weigh a ton and is unsuitable for backpacking. My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, which I would also consider a bit too heavy for backpacking. Good luck in exploring the options!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    What he said ... even if you are car camping. Take your time and explore the site. Explore the different options.
    Welcome to the madness.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kidsdad View Post
    First, thanks for letting me be part of the forum. I think it will be a good place to learn about a new interest. I found the forum after stumbling across a Hannessy Hammock on line. I thought it was the coolest camping item that I had seen in awhile. After just a few minutes of "google-fu" I realize that there are "choices" to say the least. Now Im a little overwhelmed. I do like the Hannessy, seems compact, light, easy to set up, and has a mosquito net (a must in NW Florida). Last week I came across a military style "jungle hammock." The price is right $50.00 +/-. Ill mainly be using it for overnight backpacking trips. So, should I get the jungle hammock? Will I be disappointed and turned of to the hammock idea all together. OR, should I hold out for something else, and if so, what? Thoughts / Suggestions?
    I agree with silvrsurfr, the jungle hammock would be alittle heavey for hiking and you can find the same kind of bug protection and durability in alot of other hammocks.
    I'm not sure your size and weight but if you check out Dream Hammocks they have quite afew options for all sizes and a nice chart to help you find the right fabric to have a custom built hammock made right here in the USA.You can also contact them and they will help you find the perfect fit for you.
    Warbonnet is another great hammock vender but with far fewer options, you'll never know, they might just have exactly what your looking for,
    With either one of these 2 venders you CANNOT go wrong, Welcome to the forum and enjoy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Look through the Vendors Section on the forum here and peruse some more. Hennessys are readily available but make sure to check all their specs to get the one suited to you.
    Have fun on your hammock quest....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Look into that there feller's videos.

Shug's his name, hammock camping is his game. Well, that and potted meat.

Welcome to the forum and hammocks, from East Coast. We have a lot of hammock campers here and some very nice folks near you.

There are some group hangs coming up in Ocala in the next few months and "the BIG One" in January. If you don't have a hammock by then, you can see a lot and try on a few of them as well.

Here is one in Ocala Sept 26-29. Click this link and also all the ones in Shugs signature.
    And 5th Annual Florida Hang also in Ocala.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Welcome to HF. Options 100+

All the options can be overwhelming but if you define your requirements well many can be eliminated and you are left with several that will work well for you.
    So you will be doing backpacking, locally also in colder climates? For long distance trips? Your approximate height and weight?

Bottom line unless you only camp during the summer near PC, Florida then you will end up spending far more on insulation and possibly a tarp or set of tarps over time than the hammock. $50 -100 can get you a very good hammock to start with, I would not recommend that most people start with spending $250-600 on the hammock alone that is just not logical and completely unnecessary. A $9 CCF pad at Walmart may even be enough bottom insulation to get you started. If you are still using only that many years later and backpacking a lot I would be shocked, it is just a starter and "go to ground" emergency backup option.
    Welcome to HF it gets deep quick but the water is warm ;-)

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    Right now you have two options take the slide down the rabbit hole or keep walking like you never saw it. I have enjoyed the slide myself. I am fairly new to hammock camping my self and made the same mistake you made in one of my early posts, I said that something was light weight. You will come to realize the people on this forum are full of very useful knowledge and will give you as much help as they can. They will also laugh at you when you tell them that you packed enough for a month in a 20 lb pack and make suggestions on how you can lighten it up. Make sure you get a good hold on your credit card because when you figure this hammock thing out you will be always thinking if I had this one more piece of gear haha. Most of all take a look at the cottage vendors they make some great quality products.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A hearty FL panhandle welcome (originally from Pensacola). Take some time to choose your first hammock, while the summer heat, humidity & bugs are still around. I know it's a lot to digest, but just read for a while and suddenly it will start coming together.

Definitely go through the "vendors" subforum. The vast majority of us have these custom made hammocks from these cottage vendors made here in the USA (can't say that very often) plus you'll get to talk to the people actually making your hammock. The same goes for your insulation, tarps, etc.

A book worth it's weight in goose down is "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen (dejoha here on the forum). Everything you need to know about hammocks in a concise, extremely well illustrated book.

Also, Shug's video series mentioned in a previous post is required watching. Cook up a big batch of popcorn; you'll love his videos.

And finally, ask questions. You won't find a friendlier crowd.

Oh, another finally, look in the "Outings" subforum for a group hang and go! I think an event or two is planned in Alabama soon (and we all know that the FL panhandle, affectionately called LA, is really part of Lower Alabama) Even if you are in a tent, you'll be welcomed and folks will gladly show you all their varied setups.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast