Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome from Georgia.
    -No man is above the law and no man is below the law, nor do we ask his permission when we require him to obey it.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Welcome from Mobile,AL.

Have you ever slept in a hammock? If not I would recommend you attend a hammock hang somewhere, that way you could try it out and look after different styles. Most of us on here a several hammocks and would be willing to bring an extra one a long to a hang for you.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from Kissimmee! I was born and raised in Panama City, St. Andrews just off Beck Ave. Definitely come down for the big 5th Annual Florida Hang in January as Floridahanger said. You'll be able to check out and try all sorts of hanging systems, meet all kinds of people, and have some really great eats!

You can also check out previous Florida Hangs on Youtube:
    Our first hang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeAslsYfsF0
    Our second hang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqX5UyU1FCQ
    Our third hang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8W...ZQqDoebdg9FC1R
    Our fourth hang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhujcHFgv0

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from GA

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    welcome to the addiction. i just purchased my 3rd and 4th hammocks yesterday. i want them allllll! haha

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZ...SmmEHffyhimH37

Shug has great advice backed up with a lot of real experience.

You might want to check out BackPackHiker's set of hammock review videos on youtube.

Other people's advice about going to a hang and trying out some options is gold. You'll learn a lot and meet some really nice people.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that, because a big box sporting goods store sells it, it must be good. Been there, did that, learned my lesson.

Try a gathered end hammock and a bridge style hammock in all of your sleeping modes - back, stomach, side, etc.

This forum is like the Encyclopaedia Hammocker Galactica. It's a huge store of invaluable information and advice from people who have some serious miles camping, hiking, and hammocking. Search first and, if you don't find what you need, ask. People here are friendly, knowledgeable, and really helpful.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    Whoppies ENO SS
    Shug vids are great for learning.
    Noob to Noob:
    Reasonable pricing to start for me was ENO doublenest. If you are taller that 6 ft it may not be optimum but at 5'10 it works great for me. $79 or so and easy to find. It was and is a great start for me.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    REI has Mega sale 30% off now till 9/1, you can either try the ENO DoubleNest , or JungleNest, or OneLink system set

Quote Originally Posted by 2kidsdad View Post
    and has a mosquito net (a must in NW Florida).

Welcome,
    I am probably newer to hanging than most of these guys.
    I started 3 years ago with a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro and a cheap pad. I paid less than $70. I've picked up a few more hammocks (for my wife, son , daughter, maybe that new boy scout parent that doesn't have any gear, etc) in the past few years. But the skeeter beeter is still my go to in potentially buggy summer weather. I slept in it last night in the back yard (It was a beautiful night and I had just changed out the suspension for whoopie slings).

One mistake I made with the hammock when I first started was having nothing underneath me on a summer trip. Even though I had a pad, I didn't need it for insulation. so I left it in the pack. The mosquitos got me biting through the bottom of the hammock. So now I always make sure that I have a layer of something underneath to stop that problem.

For me hammocking is miles better than ground camping, It is both easier (with a little practice) and more comfortable.

There are tons of great options out there... Keep up the search and watch as many youtube videos as you can shugemery has a great channel with lots of videos of him using his gear, setting it up, etc.

I consider myself to still be a newb hammocker myself but have 3-4 nights experience in a hammock. I would say it definitely changed my sleeping experience outdoors. Every time I enjoyed sleeping in my hammock but I found there are a lot of unforeseen factors that need to be thought about. Example. One night a good amount of my hammock had dew on the underside which woke me up with a cold head as the fabric was on my face. Example two. Up in the franconia range white mountains early spring I relied on only my top quilt and sleeping pad for warmth. Even with those two I was still cold at some points in the night.

To say these things I am mostly giving you a heads up on what to expect, not to deter you away from hammocking.

If you are serious about hammocking I would highly reccomend investing in a underquilt... I have yet to do this but it would be soo much warmer during the night.
    Also a nice rainfly is crucial. My hennessy hammock came with a rainfly and I thought for the longest time, every trip, that I could somehow make it work but I was a fool for thinking that! The tarp barely covers the hammock and would be terrible in a rain storm or shower.

Just keep these few things in mind when looking for your first hammock because it can get pricey. If you have any questions I would love to help. Goodluck

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12