Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help!! Info overload!!

I'm another newbie. Looking into hammock camping because of back surgery. There's so much info, I'm having a hard time sorting through it all. Can anybody short cut this for me and give some good advice. I'm planning on camping out in Colorado for a week in late September. I like the looks of the Clark North American, but the price tag scares me, especially since I'm not sure of what I need. I'm 5'10" & 200 lbs. I'm a side sleeper and have never been comfortable on the ground and since back surgery I can't even lay flat for 20 minutes without getting stiff and sore. Been sleeping in my recliner with no back pain in the mornings. Also, lots of negative talk about getting cold, so please factor that in. Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KZ15 View Post
    I'm another newbie. Looking into hammock camping because of back surgery. There's so much info, I'm having a hard time sorting through it all. Can anybody short cut this for me and give some good advice. I'm planning on camping out in Colorado for a week in late September. I like the looks of the Clark North American, but the price tag scares me, especially since I'm not sure of what I need. I'm 5'10" & 200 lbs. I'm a side sleeper and have never been comfortable on the ground and since back surgery I can't even lay flat for 20 minutes without getting stiff and sore. Been sleeping in my recliner with no back pain in the mornings. Also, lots of negative talk about getting cold, so please factor that in. Thanks in advance.
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin--
    among the several hammocks I have tried, the Clark is one I have not. It has many fans though. From what I read it is in the class of hammocks that run on the narrow side. I too liked the looks of the Clark NA when I was first looking into hammocking, but I was needing to equip three of us! Wasn't going to happen with the NA price tag.

For side sleeping I'd recommend a wider hammock, so you can fetal curl without having your knees up against the walls of the hammock. Best of breed in my opinion for wide gathered end hammocks is the Warbonnet Blackbird. You've been reading about that here from the WBG posse, or will. I can attest to side laying comfort in that one. WBG has a waiting list though, and if shelling out $150-$170 (worth it!) seems a bit risky for a tentative foray into hammock, know that you could turn one around here pretty quickly if you found it didn't work. Another good option for camping next week say is the SkeeterBeater Pro from Grand Trunk (formerly Travel Hammock), only $80. The sewing of bugnet to hammock, and zippers are not as study as the Warbonnet, but the size is great and you get a bugnet.
    If you don't need a bugnet, then there are a bivy of seemingly identical "double width parachute hammocks" from Eno, TripToTheMoon, TrekLight that are all really nice and run in the $60-$70 range.

so welcome to HF. Most of us find sleeping off the ground to be a huge improvement over sleeping on it.

Grizz

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I have a Hennessy. With the way it gets staked out on the sides, it is very side-sleeping friendly. It helps that I use a pad instead of just an underquilt - the pad helps flatten out the sides even more. Otherwise, with most hammocks, you end up with faceful of hammock material if you're side-sleeping.

I know the Blackbird gets staked out on the sides, but I don't know if its in the same manner as the HH. I believe it is, and the BB is all the rage, and not terribly expensive. The double version has a pad pocket which would help. You probably need to pull the trigger on that order soon if you go that route for a Sept trip. You might go ahead and get the Yeti UQ, too, as you'll probably need something more than just a pad for insulation out there in CO that time of year.

p.s. I wouldn't worry too much about how you sleep now in a bed. Your body does have muscle memory that makes you want to turn over to whatever position you're used to in bed, and you'll experience that feeling in a hammock... but once you get settled, you'll find the position that has the least pressure point on you and you'll sleep like a baby, no matter what position that ends up being.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You may check out this thread to get some ideas of starter systems including insulation.

Also take a look at Just Jeff's site. It's loaded with a lot of well organized info and it's a great primer for a newbie.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you side sleep with your legs fairly straight, up tp say 120* bend, then look at the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock....It is the flattest laying hammock and reportedly a great side sleeper... It will not curl you in a fetal position like gathered end hammocks.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Hey, welcome to the hammock gang!

A thought or two - don't assume you will sleep in the same position in a hammock as you do in a bed or on the ground. Side sleepers can enjoy any of the hammocks you will find here and there are a lot of other features you may find handy. Hennessy has a bottom entry and most others have side entry; one may be better for you than the other.

I was a side sleeper for years. My favorite position in the Blackbird is on my back and my side, with a knee drawn up. (You can have a half back, half side position in a hammock!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

I'll throw out another vote for the Blackbird from Warbonnet. Just a fantastic all around hammock! Like Grizz said, it you decide you don't like it they don't last very long in the "4 Sale" section.
    Good plan on giving hammocks a shot on your Colorado trip. Lots of really great hangs to be found out here. Just stay away from the State Parks; they be hammock-haters.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Thread split. The off-topic discussion about recommendations (including my own) were moved to a Donating Member's Discussion Thread here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

Welcome

I also have back issue, but have read hammock camping is the way to go. Rather than on the ground...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    KZ15,

Check out gear for sale. I have a Jacks r Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock for sale. Used it 8 times only. PM me if interested. By the way I am a chiro, what kind of surgery did you have? You still having pain? I have helped lots of folks who have had surgery and it "didn't take". Maybe I could help.

Thx

Not all who wander are lost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast