Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    One thing I do know, it takes me too long to set up. I don't know why I can't seem to speed up the process. Seems like there's always something that needs adjusting just a little more. And the cords on the tarp are always in a mess. I need to work on that. I think I have six feet of cord on six places for my tarp and too much for the ridgeline too.
    I use cinch buckles and webbing on the BB. I got rid of the triangle rings that came on it. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureProdigy View Post
    that video helps. I still don't understand the ""DO NOT forget to tie a slipknot in the webbing right behind the rings that attach to the hammock via small diameter cord. The knot should be on the tree side of the rings. Most prefer their feet a few inches higher than the head end of the hammock.""

You will see 2 examples of the stopper knot or the slippery half hitch; one at 6:07 and the other example is at 6:40.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

How tight should the hammock be? I have it set up so it sags but when i put some weight in the middle of the hammock it feels really tight and im affraid to sit on it in case it might rip

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    How tight should the hammock be? I have it set up so it sags but when i put some weight in the middle of the hammock it feels really tight and im affraid to sit on it in case it might rip
    With a Warbonnet you want the ridge line (the cord inside the hammock) to be just tight enough so that it has little or no sag when the hammock is unoccupied.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    the webbing should run at about a 30 deg angle from hammock to tree before hammock is weighted. (when a clock is at 2:00, the hour hand is at a 30 deg angle to horizontal)

ideally, the ridgeline will sag slightly when you sit in the hammock, but all the slack will come out when you lay. it still shouldn't be too tight when laying down, if it is, you can loosen it some if you want, if it sags when you lay down, it could be tightened some. this is really the best place to start, try and get it so it sags when you're laying down and then gradually tighten the suspension till it nsags when you sit, but then pulls straight when you lay. then get out of the hammock, un-do the shockcord if they are staked, take 10 steps back and try and memorize the angle the webbing takes to the tree. having the suspension a little tighter than described is fine, but you don't want to pull it so the webbing is horizontal from hammock to tree. most folks tend to find it more comfy on the looser side of the spectrum. a looser suspension will also mean your hammock will "drop" less upon entry (sounds counter-intuitive i know)
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 07-30-2009 at 20:30.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    most of us use a "slippery half hitch" right behind the rings once you have the hammock set where you think u'll want it. Just google that knot and practice a couple times. It's very easy to learn as it's half of the knot you use to tie your shoes.

If you don't tie a knot behind the rings, when you lay in the hammock the webbing will slip easily out and your *** will, quite litterally, hit the ground. Sounds complicated as a former noob, but with a little practice, it's like.... well tying your shoes. There are enough pictures on the forums to show a simple knot behind the rings, just look at anybodys suspension.

As for the feet being alittle higher thatn your head, it's just a comfort thing. Try to hang with the ends even and you'll soon figure out that you'll have to keep pulling yourself back toward the head end cause you'll slide down. Again, sounds alittle complicated but once you try it once or twice you'll gain a lot of experience quickly. If you don't have trees in your backyard, try hanging in a park before your trip. Have fun with it, and remember, if it don't feel comfortable to you it needs to be adjusted.

experimentation = experience
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Thanks guys, the responses were helpful. Is there a 'proper' procedure for taking it down? I kind of just crumbled it into the sack like you would with a compression bag

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Is there a 'proper' procedure for taking it down? I kind of just crumbled it into the sack like you would with a compression bag
    Sounds pretty 'proper' to me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    One thing I do know, it takes me too long to set up. I don't know why I can't seem to speed up the process. Seems like there's always something that needs adjusting just a little more. And the cords on the tarp are always in a mess. I need to work on that. I think I have six feet of cord on six places for my tarp and too much for the ridgeline too.
    I use cinch buckles and webbing on the BB. I got rid of the triangle rings that came on it. Mule
    Hey Mule,
    Another Scouter showed me a trick he uses with his silnylon tarp - he has the cord permanently attached to his tarp, then he took small pieces of elastic shock cord and tied small loops to the attachment points as well. Basically, this gives him small elastic bands, so he rolls up his guyline cord and then uses the shockcord loops to hold the rolled up guyline tight.

I have used this system with my tarp since seeing it. There is no mess with cords, you pop the cord you want to use out of the elastic loop and tie it off and move on to the next.

If you want pictures or more info, let me know and I will start a different thread.

--CoyoteWanderer

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWanderer View Post
    If you want pictures or more info, let me know and I will start a different thread.
    PMFJI, but I'd be interested in a pic or two if you wouldn't mind. Sounds interesting!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast