Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Funky Smelling No-see-um

Up till now every question I've had has been answered using the search function, but not this one.

The no-see-um mesh I used for my hammock has a very strong polyester smell. Is there a chance this will air out or should I just throw the whole thing in the washer on gentle cycle?

I'd like to sleep in this thing soon and I think the stink will be very distracting.

Is washing a normal maintenance type thing with a hammock?

Thanks - Jerry

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    JerryW, I'm no expert so take this as just one data point.

I've noticed the same thing, but also with my hammock body itself, some fabrics moreso than others.

I've put my stuff in the washer on gentle, and in the dryer on minimum heat with some dryer sheets. The odor subsided somewhat, though not as much as I'd anticipated. How well it will work after repeated washings remains to be seen.

I'll be interested in the responses this gets.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I don't know how other's feel about washers and hammocks but I'd rather hand wash my hammock in the bathtub. Haven't had any smelly problems with my hammock but I did have a problem with my son's tent that he used at Philmont. I used a product called MiraZyme. It worked for ALL his gear.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sometimes new gear has a very plastic, almost chemical smell. My DD Hammock had a really funky smell when I first got it. I washed it with my normal method, by hand in a bath tub with laundry detergent (I like the smell of Surf ) and drip dry. The smell was gone.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    ivory soap is supposed to be gentle on fabric if you don't want to use a detergent. i believe it comes scented as well

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I don't know how other's feel about washers and hammocks but I'd rather hand wash my hammock in the bathtub. Haven't had any smelly problems with my hammock but I did have a problem with my son's tent that he used at Philmont. I used a product called MiraZyme. It worked for ALL his gear.
    Good point, TinaLouise! My hammocks are $1.50/yd DIYs, so I didn't think twice about using the washer. Front loaders are supposedly gentler, so maybe those would be reasonably safe for the more expensive gear.

Gotta look for the MiraZyme, thanks!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the responses! I'm going to go ahead and do a hand washing in the tub and let it hang dry outside. Might as well do the tarp tube while I'm at it. Sounds like that should take care of it.

Frawg - Thanks for the dryer sheet link. I had no idea how useful they could be. I'm going to give some of those suggestions a try.

Jerry

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I'm going to go ahead and do a hand washing in the tub and let it hang dry outside. Might as well do the tarp tube while I'm at it. Sounds like that should take care of it.

Frawg - Thanks for the dryer sheet link. I had no idea how useful they could be. I'm going to give some of those suggestions a try.

Jerry
    One of the basic rules for hanging a bear bag : Put everything, that has a scent, in it, including soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I would be careful giving your hammock a scent if you plan on hanging in the wilderness. I wash my gear with Sport Wash :http://www.atsko.com/products/laundr...detergent.html. It is designed for the materials we use, leaves no scent, restores wicking properties & is safe for waterproof materials. It also contains no UV brighteners. Ever see a old faded pair of blue jeans glow under a UV blacklight ? That is what our gear looks like to animals that see in the UV spectrum.
    Last edited by Darby; 07-30-2009 at 23:24. Reason: Still can't type
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I had the same kind of deal with my bug netting when I attached it to my hammock.

I intended to wash it, but didn't have time before a campout so I took it and that 1st night the campfire smoke was continually on the hammock and it literally took a "smoke bath".

The smell is gone, and I let it stay set up for a day or two at the house and the sun I guess cleaned the smoke smell out. All I've got now is a very subtle camp smoke smell, which isn't bad at all when you're "hangin' out".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Seems to me the materials in most hammocks would do fine in a machine wash, especially in a front-loader. I'd put the whole shebang in a mesh bag to avoid possible tangling issues, and as noted, use unscented agents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast