Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge

Looking to by a down underquilt and have questions.

I feel like every other UQ newbie on here....lost in the world of options.

I am looking to reduce the bulk in my pack, since I feel my current UQ takes up the most space.

As my husband was looking over my should last night (he is a ground sleeper with the kids), he said, "wouldn't it be easier if there was only two options?" In a way, I agree. But then, options get you what you really want.

So.......I am looking for down. What is the difference between duck and goose? Is duck heavier and not as warm? Is it bulkier?

I currently have a PLUQ, it is about 58" x 39" (can't get a good measure as it is full of shock cord). I am 5'8" and it does well to a little under 50 deg with my 32 deg bag, not using a foot pad. I spend most of the night on my side, slightly curled.

That being said, full length UQ's seem too long. I have a bottom entry HH, so too long and I will have trouble getting in, and I really don't need the extra bulk. A 3/4 length is about 52"(?), which is not long enough. I think I move around too much for a foot pad.

I am thinking a 40 deg UQ will be sufficient, since I do not do any winter camping....well, not yet anyway. Would a 20 deg be too warm in the summer months? I cannot afford two right now. (I hope to find something used).

Is there any that match this description? Should I look into a custom length? Do customs usually cost more?

Thank you in advance. Everyone on HF is so helpful, and have helped me with my previous questions.....hopefully some day I can help others.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    My quick response would be to get a full length 20 degree quilt. All of my quilts are rated at least 20 and I use them year round. You can always vent them a little if need be. I think the ability to be fully enveloped offsets the little bit of extra bulk and weight. More comfort and warmth. I have both goose down and duck down, I like both as does my wife. Differences are negligible. I do think the hydrophobic down on either is worth having. Check with the providers here about custom, I think it will cost more, yet if you figure the cost per night and the usage you will get out of it, the comfort and rest comes pretty inexpensively. If you can attend a group hang, it might give you some ideas as well.

Good luck with it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    UGQ has a 7/8 length that may be perfect for you. They also offer both duck and goose down, both in HYPERDry. Their quality is superb. UGQ. Duck down is typically cheaper due to market reasons. IMO, 800 FP down is 800 FP no matter if its duck or goose down. I also would err on the side of caution and get a 20 degree, it is easy to vent, but hard to get warmer if you don't have the loft under you.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have 2 HH's and I use a JacksRBetter The Nest with both of them. The Nest is made specifically to fit a HH with a classic (bottom) opening. The Nest is full length with side tabs (pull outs) that match up to the HH and is rated 25 to 30F. I have had it down to 20F with Smart Wool top/bottoms, hat, socks, and a hot water bottle.

I have had mine 2 years and am happy with it but if I was buying it over again I would purchase the Winter Nest. Why? Well, I find it is pretty easy to vent and get cooler but if I need more insulation and don't have it, that does not work well for me.

Packing up The Nest is a breeze. It weights in under 23oz and packs down (with compression) to the size of a larger softball. The way I pack with it is to put The Nest and my Old Rag Mountain TQ inside a compactor bag, then load all my dry items on top of it, then I roll it all down. This allows my quits to compress around my other items and it just seems to take up less room that way.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree with canoebie that a 20* UQ is the most versatile UQ you can get for all seasons. I personally would be disinclined to buy a quilt specifically designed for a specific hammock - that's not very versatile.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    UGQ has a 7/8 length that may be perfect for you. They also offer both duck and goose down, both in HYPERDry. Their quality is superb. UGQ. Duck down is typically cheaper due to market reasons. IMO, 800 FP down is 800 FP no matter if its duck or goose down. I also would err on the side of caution and get a 20 degree, it is easy to vent, but hard to get warmer if you don't have the loft under you.
    Good info as I am researching UQs as well. Can you further explain "easy to vent"? Do you merely loosen the UQ or is it more venting by removing any top cover you are using?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    You vent an underquilt by opening the ends or hanging it a bit looser to get some air space between the hammock and quilt. You can adjust the tightness of the quilt to give you the comfort temperature you are looking for.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    You vent an underquilt by opening the ends or hanging it a bit looser to get some air space between the hammock and quilt. You can adjust the tightness of the quilt to give you the comfort temperature you are looking for.
    My method of venting is a bit more primitive. I just pull the UQ out of the way - I never adjust the suspension. Once my core body temp has droppped sufficiently then I can put it back in position and resume sleeping. However, I rarely vent my UQ, finding that the TQ is much easier to vent. A little hot? Stick a leg out. Still too hot? Stick an arm out. Really hot? Kick the whole darned TQ off.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My method of venting is a bit more primitive. I just pull the UQ out of the way - I never adjust the suspension. Once my core body temp has droppped sufficiently then I can put it back in position and resume sleeping. However, I rarely vent my UQ, finding that the TQ is much easier to vent. A little hot? Stick a leg out. Still too hot? Stick an arm out. Really hot? Kick the whole darned TQ off.
    This is exactly what I do as well.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will go with the 20 degreeish range of UQ.

I was just looking at the Nest from JRB as dkurfiss had suggested. I just got my hands on a HH Racer which doesn't have a velcro bottom entry. it looks like the nest has a hook and loop that would attach onto the regular HH bottom entry. Would this be awkward?

Does anyone use a nest with the Racer? That should probably be asked in a different post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast