Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hi from Mass

Just introducing myself now that I've found the forums.

My name is Becky, I'm from Massachusetts, we're a family of 4 who primarily car camps with some backpacking on the side.

I initially started a DIY Nemo/Lunar Duo cross tent, but found out half way in that the fabric I thought was silnylon was actually PU coated, and that blew the wind right out of my sails...

Last weekend we car-camped and left wet because our 3 20+ year old tents have had enough.. Thankfully the rain didn't start till after midnight the last night...

Hubs put a bug in my hear after lounging in the campsite on our rec size Bayer hammock that he could sleep in it if it weren't for the cold butt and threat of rain...

That has sent me on a week long tangent of trying to find a way to make this possible, and avoid having to buy another few backpacking tents.. I'm sick of laying on the ground too.. not that it's not easy to get up and down, it's just SO darn uncomfortable!

I was sent here to research DIY Hammocks from Backpackinglight forums, and I must say, what a place you have here!

I wanted to know the basics for backpacking/hammocking setups, and I found a lot of info here. I decided to scrap the tent idea all together, will use the already cut pieces for other stuff/stuff sacks etc, and used whatever I had left for my very first cat tarp. It's about 10'x10', and seems to work pretty well, just needs the felled seams sealed.. (yep, it's two colors, two orders of the same fabric resulted in a mis-shipped item..)

Then I saw TurtleLady's tripod and HAD to make one.. Maybe if I make a stand, then I can make a hammock at home and have something to test out the hammock on (I already have a nice metal stand too, but whatever) Trial and error brought me to having a finished but crude stand that will get cleaned up and made more natural looking aside from the ridge pipe.

I fastened my Bayer hammock to it and had a good confident, comfortable hang for a bit.. Hubs says it's too rigid down the center of the fabric, not across the edges like when it was on the trees. I'm guessing the 10 foot span instead of 14-16 of the trees is the cause. So since he's willing to go with me on this tangent, I'll make him a setup with longer span, and bigger hammock.

Two concerns I have so far, include the lashing.. Has anyone tried making sewn lashing loops out of polyester strap? I can imagine in my head them sewn together with heavy upholstery thread.. Dunno if that would work.. I want put it on the TL stand thread and see what the response is...Instead of my always variable lashing.

The other is the pin I used to hold the rail together for safety. If I aim the pin ends up, I'm afraid of wrecking my tarp, if I aim them down I'm afraid of ripping a bug net or my scalp... Thoughts?

Anyway, here are the pics.

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=45912

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    For the straps are you meaning for hanging the hammock ends from, or for around where the tree would be? some thing like this:

And for the pin maybe a short carriage bolt:

ca_bolt_1b.jpg

The other thing you may want to consider. It looks like you used paracord for your suspension, you will want to consider some alternative cordage as what I have learned from the guys way smarter than me here on the site is the a the force exerted when hanging is much greater than what the paracord is rated for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Texas. You probably already saw this it is not what you wanted but just in case:

andhttps://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...urtleDog-stand

look at the photos in comment #7

I guess if you use carriage bolts to attach polyester straps to the tops of the 2x4s and down lower to prevent them from over spreading it could work as well, but I have not tried that or seen it done. Amsteel dyneema cord does not stretch very much either and you can put locked Brummel loops into it as well, but sewn loops into webbing strap should work. I guess advantage of strap or rope is that it is lighter and 2x4s fold down smaller. Metal hardware may last longer but could rust if not covered. Just my random thoughts. Hopefully others will give you more, and read through that turtle dog thread there are many variations. Also stands made from Aluminum pole tripods, single poles with heavy duty guy lines and ground stakes.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida. Take your time and read more. You will have a better idea of what you need. There are alternatives, some better suited to your style.

A couple of great resources are Shug's videos and a book, "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen. Both are members of the forum.
    Here is a link to the book... http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang-...+ultimate+hang
    Here is a link to Shug's videos... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

I came here hears ago from BPL and I'm so happy to be off the ground and still traveling extremely light.
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-25-2014 at 18:34.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts