Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Whole bunch-a questions...

So I've made a TL stand, lashing it with paracord, because that's what I have on hand, after the gate hinges just weren't trustworthy enough for me. I made the ridge pole out of 1 3/8" chain link top rail, worked like a charm...

I have three questions:

Has anyone who has made a tripod, tried making sewn polyester webbing lashing loops? I'm imagining three loops, a tiny bit larger than the poles, sewn in succession. Thoughts? That way, the lashings could be kept neat and potentially wouldn't have to be re tied every time the setup is taken down for transport.

Next, what are my options for the (safety) hitch pin holding the top rail together? If I drill much larger in diameter, I could potentially get away with a locking wire pin, that won't be sharp so if it turns over, it won't rip the tarp, or if it turns the other way, won't impale my scalp or my bug net... However hubs may have just solved the problem with a wire keychain loop... a piece of plastic would work too.

third question, I'm sure not the last though, has anyone repurposed old sleeping bags for underquilts? I have two very old down North Face sleepig bags that I'm willing to transform into uq's because they were free, and my kids don't like the smell, and won't sleep in them... If you've repurposed an old sleeping bag, how have you done it?

Thanks all! This place is awesome!

Here's my gallery with a picture of the pin in question...

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=45912

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    third question, I'm sure not the last though, has anyone repurposed old sleeping bags for underquilts? I have two very old down North Face sleepig bags that I'm willing to transform into uq's because they were free, and my kids don't like the smell, and won't sleep in them... If you've repurposed an old sleeping bag, how have you done it?
    Been done many times
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=sleep...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Many different variations on how to use a sleeping bag (preferably rectangular) as a UQ. Use google or bing to search as Bushwhacker suggested. But basically just make a channel with grosgrain on sides at the width of S.B. you want, run shock cord thick and strong enough to suspend it and attach to the suspension of the hammock at the gathered ends. Adjust until it fits snuggly. Sew in pleats at head and foot if you want it to fit better. Also remove zipper with seam ripper if it does not cause the fabric to come un-hemmed.

If you stored down sleeping bags in an air tight container and they were not 100% dry i.e. did not tumble dry first then when you removed them for the next camping trip your kids probably thought they were sleeping with a wet dog or wet goose. Best to follow the directions of hanging or storing where they can breath in a well ventilated storage area. Just my personal experience yours may be different.

Your hammock stand looks good, 550 cord is fine but may stretch more than polyester straps, I am not clear on why the hinges did not work but there are many methods that work. Read thru some of the threads on this. Use bing or google to search for these. Also talk to the employees at your local hardware store, sometimes they have good ideas.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't think most people use a safety pin with the fencing top rails but many of us use snap buttons with the aluminum surplus pole sections and they should work for you as well.

While the straps may work for the lashings, why are you removing the lashings for transport? All three legs should lay neatly side by side with the lashing in place. I have turtlelady lashed stands that have not had the lashings removed in three years.

• + New Posts