Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

breaking thread

I was on tree strap number 4 today when the thread going through the needle (from the spool) started breaking every 6 stitches or so. Any idea on the cause of this. I oiled everything, redid the thread from the spool through the guides, as well as the bobbin. It's running fine, but keeps breaking the thread for some reason. It's getting very frustrating.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    What kind of webbing from where? New needle? Did you try sewing something else? Did you unthread and rethread? Sometimes when my machine gets stopped the thread gets extremely stuck in the thread tensioner. I just pull it out and rethread. The needle couldmbe bent. The bobbin could be in backords. What kind of machine? What kind of thread? Whats the stitch count?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    What kind of webbing from where? New needle? Did you try sewing something else? Did you unthread and rethread? Sometimes when my machine gets stopped the thread gets extremely stuck in the thread tensioner. I just pull it out and rethread. The needle couldmbe bent. The bobbin could be in backords. What kind of machine? What kind of thread? Whats the stitch count?
    Polyester webbing, not sure on the source. Either dutch or readystrap I think. Brand new needle. Haven't sewn anything else. Completely stripped and rethreaded everything. Bobbin is in proper. I've previously sewn multiple items before the straps. Everything is still set up from then. I had absolutley no issue until the final strap. The others were done in about 5 minutes each.
    The machine is a Singer 15-90. Guttermann polyester thread. Stitch count is set at 12.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Is it solid black webbing, very stiff and tightly wound? If it is I had some trouble with it when I was using my singer 15-91. Something may have shifter in terms of tensioners. Gmcttr helped me by either switch needle size, or making other ajustments. I have since sewn the other straps dutch sells (camo) and many other things without issues, but the other straps were a pain.

I will defer to thenother more experienced guys. Good luck.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks miyanc. It is a thicker strap, but I've done 6 other tree straps out of this webbing with no issues. That's the frustrating part. Grrrrrrr.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    How old is your thread? If it's been around awhile it might be getting a bit brittle
    Debi

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Where is the thread breaking. If it is at the needle in the middle of a stitch you may need a new needle or have a poorly wound bobbin. If the winds on the bobbin cross it can cause the thread to break because the bobbin doesn't feed properly. Carefully remove the bobbin and hold it by the end of the thread a short distance above the table. If it falls freely the bobbin is not cross wound. On the other hand if it jerks and stops strip off the thread on the bobbin and rewind a new one being careful to keep the speed and tension consistent while winding. A jerky winding speed or winding to fast can cause cross winds.

If the thread is breaking at the needle replace the needle. You might have a burr or sharp spot at the eye. If the thread is breaking someplace else then check the spool for free movement. Sometimes it can be cross wound or the thread is catching on sharp spot on the spool. If the spool holder is horizontal make sure the slit for holding the end of the thread is at the back of the spool. If you are pulling the thread vertically straight off the spool the slit should be on the bottom. A vertical spool holder where the thread feeds off the side is a little more difficult to deal with. Just make sure the thread is not catching on something or wound around the spool rod.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The thread is brand new Debi, but thanks for mentioning that. I wouldn't have thought of that. I pulled the bobbin out of the holder, restrung it, and changed the needle. My strap is now done. I hope the needle is ok. It's brand spankin new, as is the one I replaced it with. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• + New Posts