Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

Off brand Tyvek tarp

Hey guys, my uncle builds houses on Fripp island, SC and I asked him for a good chunk of tyvek and he said he would send me some. So he sent a massive sheet of it up here the other day transported by my brother but it turns out it is the off brand grayco house wrap and not real tyvek. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff because I have roughly 55 ft by 9 ft of it haha uploadfromtaptalk1408758751512.jpg
    So I'm wondering if it's waterproof in the same way or not. It seems heavier than tyvek but not too heavy since I'm not a gram guy. It's almost see through but it does seem fairy sturdy uploadfromtaptalk1408758831870.jpg
    I don't want it to go to waste and can obviously make ground cloths out of it but I really was just curious if anyone else had experience with it because I'd love to make a few tarps and pack covers out of it. Any response is greatly appreciated!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Looks like a weave-laminate of some sort. Probably heavier than Tyvek. Make a bowl shape out of it and fill it with water to test.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Looks like a weave-laminate of some sort. Probably heavier than Tyvek. Make a bowl shape out of it and fill it with water to test.
    I'll see if I can try that tomorrow
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Got a piece of "TYPAR" from a new house near me. White on one side and thinly coated with a black (tar?) substance on the back. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I have a neighbor wrapping his house in Lowes Building Wrap. Looks like Tyvek product made for them and printed with their logo.

I'll get a few peices and check back in when I have a chance to see what I've got.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Keep in mind that the fabric will get damp in moderate rain but will leak in rain of extreme intensity.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

May work for Tarp but depends, Test it first

I would recommend that you spread it over a ridge line tied between two trees make it taunt and spray it with a hose and see how it holds up to a strong stream of water similar to a strong rain storm but not ridiculously strong. Even a material that is not super waterproof can still work if the angle of water deflection is steep enough, i.e. a steep "A" frame house. I lived for many months and summers under palm leaf roofs and never got wet, but you could easily pour a bucket of water straight thru them at the right angle. Simple physics, even mostly naked indigenous people in the forest can figure this stuff out. Just my personal experience yours may differ.

Also read this more scientific view:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-vs-silnylon

Comment #9 by ChrisH is a must read in my opinion he has excellent experience

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I'm going to try the piece of material and see if it hold the water, if it doesn't then I'll try it as mentioned above about hanging on a Ridgeline . I'll try and get some posts on here tonight

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    So I tried to test to see if it would leak with about 2-3 ounces of water poured into the make shift bowl. And within about 10 minutes it had dropped about 3 eye drop sized drops to the bottom of the container.
    You can't tell alot from this picture but I believe like someone said this would be fine as long as I had it at the right angle for the water to roll off of it and not pool up.
    And once those three drops fell out, no other drops have come out so it may have stopped.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Made my brother a 9x9 tarp with rocks pulled through for tie outs and some paracord and it still only weighed a pound and and quarter

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast